Writing, Drawing and What You're "Meant" To Do
I've had this thought in my head for years now. Years.

I'm a writer, or I'm a writer at the time of posting this. I love writing, and I don't know how else to say that. It's something that I've done my entire life, and it feels right.

But I have this other feeling, this niggling thing that bites at me. Drawing. I also love to draw. I'm not good at drawing, but I enjoy it.

And you may know what I'm about to type, in fact, it's probably obvious. I'm going to say that I can't decide between the two.

And you're right.

And you'd tell me to do both.

Which is great advice, but unfortunately, I can't wrap my head around it. I'm a very singular person, I have one drive, one goal, I'm just simply not good at doing multiple things.

And so I can't make up my mind between drawing and writing. Actually, I've been juggling writing, drawing, photography and music (guitar) for years now, and I'm exhausted.

I just want to write, or draw. I love both dearly, but I can't do both, because it simply exhausts me.

What I'm asking for is advice. How can I make up my mind? How can I find which art I truly hold close?
Hey.
I'm actually pretty similar. I knew I want to be a writer since I was 15, I started to conceive the world, characters and plot for the series of my books. In high school I fell in love in my guitar, started a band and for few yeart spent 4-7 hours a day playing and composing (left the band after 1 year, because a huge gap in skill and resolve). Then 4,5 years ago I fell in love with painting and decided to become a professional illustrator and concept artist.

Did I abandon my previous dreams. By all mean NO. I had to shift some goals though. Being a writer and composer is suspended till I aquire enough skill and establish myself as an artist. Then I return to finish up my book and create illustration for it. Then I return to composing when I have time for this.

I don't know if this is any help for you, but that's pretty much all I can offer. Good luck on your journey.

It won't matter what advice we give you, because you are the only one who knows the answer to the question. You are out here looking for the answer but it's the wrong place to look. It's in you. You just have to listen close enough.

As Piotr said, you can focus on one thing and then do another later down the line. Or keep trying to find a way to split it so that it works for you in some way.

For me, I wrote, I did music, I coded, I drew. I animated, and I was unfocused and got nowhere fast with anythign.
I wanted / want to do it all at some point, but I chose to focus on the art for a while. Now that I am pretty much full time on the art, I am starting to think about the others again. I have dabble in all during that time still as well, just not as much. There is absolutely no reason why choosing one at one point means you are giving up on it. It just means your attention isn't on it for now. There is nothing to say you can't enjoy drawing for it's own sake, while focusing predominantly on writing. It's not so serious. Give yourself some latitude because there is no finality in life...except perhaps in death, so just make sure that whatever you are doing feels right for you, at this moment.

To me just reading between the lines, it seems like writing is really your main thing, but as I said before, only you know the real answer to it. Something I have done that has helped is to meditate (or just sit quietly with yourself and calm down all the mental noise on pros/cons) for a few minutes and focus on stillness not thinking about this. Then in a moment of great stillness and little-to-no thought, pose the question to yourself "Should I focus on art or writing?". You can even say it out loud. Then just pause and listen to yourself, rather than try to reason your way to the answer.

Often, and surprisingly, the answer comes up strong as a feeling, no thought involved. This is your intuition. Learn to listen to yourself, learn to tap into it and begin to trust yourself more. I think the more you practice, the better you get at it, like any skill. You asked for help on "how to make up my mind". Funny thing I have always thought about that expression, is that thought more often than not gets in our way and hinders us, so it's not your mind you have to make up, it's getting your mind out of the way that will help you!!

I have used the technique myself and it has worked for me. Give it a shot! Ultimately you are the only one who can choose what to do. And this might not ring true, but more likely than not the choice has already been made, you just haven't surfaced it or acted it out yet because your mind is getting in the way.

Oh and if I were you I'd really consider thinking deeply on this idea of "having a purpose" or doing what you are "meant" to do. I truly believe we have no purpose. We act on our impulse and our history and the things that happen around us. There is nothing to suggest any of it has any hidden meaning behind it. If you want to find out your purpose, live well until the moment you die. And in the moments before your death assuming you aren't hit by something sudden, you will probably understand that purpose has no real meaning except as a means to justify existence and come to terms with the fear of our own mortality.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
(02-22-2016, 02:09 AM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote: Did I abandon my previous dreams. By all mean NO. I had to shift some goals though. Being a writer and composer is suspended till I aquire enough skill and establish myself as an artist. Then I return to finish up my book and create illustration for it. Then I return to composing when I have time for this.

I don't know if this is any help for you, but that's pretty much all I can offer. Good luck on your journey.

It does help! So you're suggesting I put some on hold, and focus one at a time? I've never thought about that, and it may just work. If I'm thinking about drawing so much, maybe I should take a year to draw? Thanks.
(02-22-2016, 03:11 AM)Amit Dutta Wrote: I wanted / want to do it all at some point, but I chose to focus on the art for a while. Now that I am pretty much full time on the art, I am starting to think about the others again. I have dabble in all during that time still as well, just not as much. There is absolutely no reason why choosing one at one point means you are giving up on it. It just means your attention isn't on it for now.

That's been my problem, an absence in any of the artforms makes me feel like I'm rapidly losing skill in it.

(02-22-2016, 03:11 AM)Amit Dutta Wrote: Something I have done that has helped is to meditate

I actually meditate a decent bit, though never about this topic. Maybe I should give it a shot.

(02-22-2016, 03:11 AM)Amit Dutta Wrote: Oh and if I were you I'd really consider thinking deeply on this idea of "having a purpose" or doing what you are "meant" to do. I truly believe we have no purpose. We act on our impulse and our history and the things that happen around us.

I believe the same, I put the "Meant" in quotations for that reason. I meant it more so as a "love" type thing, doing what I love.

Thanks for the advice.
I'm in the same boat, except I'm good at drawing and a poor writer. I guess I've perpetuated that by sticking closer to the thing I did better. When I look at writing and drawing, they're both story telling, only in a different format. So, if the common factor in each is storytelling, the question I ask my self is how could I better tell a story? Writing or art?

I really like the idea that a book can spawn great scenes unique to the readers mind, but I also like the idea that I could spell that imagery out through drawing as I see it. It's a tough choice.

Right now I need money, and I'm getting close to being able to fully support myself on art - I'm terrified at how long it would take, or if it would even be possible for me to make money writing. Being a successful writer seems a more unrealistic fantasy to me, like being a rock-star or something. Maybe that's only because I haven't traveled that path nearly as much as the art path.

Anyways just typing out loud here. I suppose the best decision will come from how honest you can be with yourself. If I was being honest with myself, the thing that brings me the most fulfillment is reading books. But I'm starting to lie to myself because of money.
(02-22-2016, 05:59 PM)etenzero Wrote: I'm in the same boat, except I'm good at drawing and a poor writer. I guess I've perpetuated that by sticking closer to the thing I did better. When I look at writing and drawing, they're both story telling, only in a different format. So, if the common factor in each is storytelling, the question I ask my self is how could I better tell a story? Writing or art?

It's an odd feeling, isn't it? You're so ready to start, but you feel like it's wasted effort. Or even worse, that the effort won't bear any fruit.
(02-22-2016, 01:38 AM)ConSketch Wrote: I just want to write, or draw. I love both dearly, but I can't do both, because it simply exhausts me.

What I'm asking for is advice. How can I make up my mind? How can I find which art I truly hold close?

I am assuming right off the bat that this is a comic book career discussion! Where else can you find illustration and story gelled together nicely!

What I'm about to say is all conjecture, since I don't really know you that well, but it seems you're looking at a career choice of going either the writer route or the artist route.

If you are what you say, if you can only commit to one goal, instead of pigeonholing yourself to be an artist or a writer, have you thought about being a comic book creator instead? That's one, cohesive, singular goal right there.

I remember this comic book called 'Copra'. I have not had the chance to read it, but from what I heard, the story is exquisite. But, the art side, not so much to die for.

But, that book gave the creator a shot to write for Marvel comics.

I'd still say, do all of your hobbies! But, play to your strengths.

(02-22-2016, 01:38 AM)ConSketch Wrote: And you'd tell me to do both.

Which is great advice, but unfortunately, I can't wrap my head around it. I'm a very singular person, I have one drive, one goal, I'm just simply not good at doing multiple things.

It seems to me you have multiple drives. You can't really say that you love something if you do not have the drive for it. Unless, you know, you only *think* that you love something.

I have a question: is it really because of you can't commit to multiple goals, or you can't commit to one big goal that seems too hard to grasp?

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(02-22-2016, 08:59 PM)John Wrote: have you thought about being a comic book creator instead? That's one, cohesive, singular goal right there.

I've been asked that many times, haha.

I agree with you that I have multiple drives, it just comes down to the fact that I can't mentally commit to pursuing both. Believe me, I've tried, but after almost a decade of this attempt, it hasn't worked. I'm tired, and I want to move on with one, or the other.

(02-22-2016, 08:59 PM)John Wrote: I have a question: is it really because of you can't commit to multiple goals, or you can't commit to one big goal that seems too hard to grasp?

I don't see it as one big goal. It would be quite interesting if there was some divine being trying to make me a comic book illustrator/writer, haha, but I think it comes down to my mental fortitude, and I don't have the ability to commit to both.

I'm by no means saying that I CAN'T do both. The question I'm asking is more so about which path I'll put serious time and effort into. One of these artforms is going on the backburner, and one is going to be at the forefront of my work. I just don't know which.
(02-22-2016, 09:10 PM)ConSketch Wrote: I'm by no means saying that I CAN'T do both. The question I'm asking is more so about which path I'll put serious time and effort into. One of these artforms is going on the backburner, and one is going to be at the forefront of my work. I just don't know which.

It's okay to be at the crossroad. But it sucks to be at the crossroad for years..

If you're having trouble of answering the questions you're asking yourself, they are probably the wrong questions to ask.

Meaning, I have no idea what is stopping you from doing one thing from the other. Is is a passion issue? Financial? Self-gratification? Or maybe you yourself don't know which one it is?

It is confusing to me because it's too general to be everything and nothing at the same time.

But regardless what it is that's making you not move, especially that you're at the crossroads for years now, like everybody suggested, you've got to move man.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
(02-22-2016, 09:37 PM)John Wrote: Meaning, I have no idea what is stopping you from doing one thing from the other. Is is a passion issue? Financial? Self-gratification? Or maybe you yourself don't know which one it is?

But regardless what it is that's making you not move, especially that you're at the crossroads for years now, like everybody suggested, you've got to move man.

For the most part, what's stopping me is the worry that I could be doing more with my time. My worry is time. That I'll spend my life doing something that I don't enjoy. My question is; How do I find which artform I like more? Sorry for the confusion.

And I know I need to move on, it's just difficult.
(02-22-2016, 09:46 PM)ConSketch Wrote: My worry is time. That I'll spend my life doing something that I don't enjoy.

I don't think you have to worry about that. If you really meant what you've said about your love of writing and art, then you didn't waste a drop of your time doing something you didn't care for.

(02-22-2016, 09:46 PM)ConSketch Wrote: My question is; How do I find which artform I like more? Sorry for the confusion.

And I know I need to move on, it's just difficult.

I wish I can find the right words to get you out of that funk you're in.

----
I've been reading your responses, and I still get the feeling you are wanting someone else to answer this question for you. It can't happen, though we might trigger something to come up for you, it is you doing the introspection.

Another way to look at it. Take the "decision" aspect out of it. All you are really after here is action and focus, so, Flip a coin. I'm totally serious. Commit to doing that for 6 months or a year. See how you feel after the period has elapsed. If it feels right, awesome, you already have 6 months or a year of time invested. If things don't pan out as you hoped, big whoop, it's only a tenth of the ime you have already spent without focus. Then you can switch to the other with some good experience behind you, and more certainty about your next move.

The worry about time wastage to some extent needs to be nipped in the bud because whatever way you go, it will take lots of time. Get comfy with that idea. You don't really know how much time you have so just make whatever you do count and attack your task with every fibre of your being, rather than spend another second in debilitating indecision and angst.

We can't push you off the cliff, you have to jump, and figure it out on the way down.

(02-22-2016, 10:49 PM)John Wrote: I wish I can find the right words to get you out of that funk you're in.

Yeah, maybe I just need to go for it. Take a year with writing on the backburner, and just draw. If I'm not satisfied by the end of that year, then I go back to writing.
(02-22-2016, 10:51 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: Another way to look at it. Take the "decision" aspect out of it. All you are really after here is action and focus, so, Flip a coin. I'm totally serious. Commit to doing that for 6 months or a year. See how you feel after the period has elapsed. If it feels right, awesome, you already have 6 months or a year of time invested. If things don't pan out as you hoped, big whoop, it's only a tenth of the ime you have already spent without focus. Then you can switch to the other with some good experience behind you, and more certainty about your next move.

You're completely right. I'll think it over the next few days, and I'll probably make a Sketchbook in the forum. And maybe I'll make one of those corny drawing blogs for the hell of it (A.K.A. Motivation).
Not probably or maybe...DO IT! Everyone on this forum is 110% behind you man. :)