V Menezes Sketchbook - Critiques Welcome
OK, first post of my sketchbook.

Altough I plan to work digitally (by now, since I'm too much of a newbie to be sure of it) I still find it better to sketch on paper, since I can put out more work like this. I'm currently practicing 2 hours a day, everyday, since I have a full time job and right now I am revisiting anatomy, this time focusing more on volume than contour.

EDIT: Does the picture direction make it hard to critique?

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketches from today. I decided to practice more on the tablet after all, the lines are very messy and I ended up taking longer on each image, but I guess the results on paper aren't THAT much better.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice! It does not really matter what tools you use to practise, as long as you practise. I like traditional aswell for certain stuff, especially for anatomy.

A couple of sketches from yesterday and today. On the first drawings I used non-timed reference photos e focused heavily on the volumes of the body, because I always find that my figures from imagination looked flat. The last 5 or so are purely from imagination, but I guess they are easy to spot considering the unusual poses and proportions.

Attached Files Image(s)

Art is tough, but no art is worse D:
OK, now I'm serious! D:<

First exercise from the "Successful Drawing" Loomis book.
(Actually there is nothing about 2 or 3 points perspective on this part)

Attached Files Image(s)

I really love your sketches!! I like the fact that you're doing traditional stuff. They are extremely helpful.
I see you're studying really hard & that's great. What I do not see you doing is applying all the gained knowledge to something from imagination. I see from the posts that you've done only a few sketches from your imagination, all the rest are studies.

If I may suggest, what you should do is draw from imagination. Look the result & analyze what is wrong & why? Like maybe the rib cage looks f*cked up. You need to think why does it look like that? Do you not understand the form or the perspective or something else? Once you figure that out you can go back & study the hell out of it. Then apply it back to your art from imagination & see if you've improved or not. Rinse & repeat. Think before your draw. Think after you've drawn. Make corrections as per necessity.

Also on a side note, I would also suggest that you might wanna relax your lines a bit. They look very forceful. But this is just my opinion.

Whatever you do, keep posting. Wanna see more! :)

(03-27-2016, 07:43 PM)Blunt Pencil Wrote: I really love your sketches!! I like the fact that you're doing traditional stuff. They are extremely helpful.
I see you're studying really hard & that's great. What I do not see you doing is applying all the gained knowledge to something from imagination. I see from the posts that you've done only a few sketches from your imagination, all the rest are studies.

If I may suggest, what you should do is draw from imagination. Look the result & analyze what is wrong & why? Like maybe the rib cage looks f*cked up. You need to think why does it look like that? Do you not understand the form or the perspective or something else? Once you figure that out you can go back & study the hell out of it. Then apply it back to your art from imagination & see if you've improved or not. Rinse & repeat. Think before your draw. Think after you've drawn. Make corrections as per necessity.

Also on a side note, I would also suggest that you might wanna relax your lines a bit. They look very forceful. But this is just my opinion.

Whatever you do, keep posting. Wanna see more! :)

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
I actually have some more sketches from imagination when it comes to figure drawing, but it was one of those days when you struggle to draw anything decent, besides that, my Loomis book just arrived so I dropped anatomy for a while and started following the order presented on his book. But I'm definitely going to draw more from imagination now. And about my line quality, I never tought about it, to be honest. Sometimes my sketch becomes kinda messy so I would draw a ticker line on top of the others so it would be easier to see the right one, but now that I think of it, It may not be that good of an idea... Hahah

Today I kinda had fun practicing perspective o.O
It was like those rare moments when math makes sense in school Hahahah

Also, thank god for the Photoshop line tool...

Attached Files Image(s)

Today was actually boring as fuck, but there is only going forward I guess. Gotta meet the medium term goals o/

Attached Files Image(s)

Your perspective stuff are really great!