chubbycat's sketchbook!
Inspiring to see you stick to a project for so long, I wish I had that drive and perseverance. Since you say top row the most striking is the 4th to me, although pulling a pink/magenta shirt as a dude is quite a tough job ha ha, I think that one works for me with the yellow crackle pattern, really cool looking.
I would say maybe some of your colors (like on the jeans) could go a darker more saturated value (depends on what kind of jeans are you going for). That said I've been noticing with lines best to use more muted colors, like you are doing now, that way it seems to compete less with the lines. I'm still trying to figure things out. The 3rd one from the left seems to be the one with less value change overall on their outfit, pant, shirt and skin blend together (without the colors and lines they would blend pretty close). I like it more when you have the pants darker like in 1 and 2, so in 4 you could make the shirt slightly darker and/or more saturated, to have a reverse effect? (dark upper side, lighter pants) and get a good value split still. It reads all quite well enough tho, so I'm just wanting to hear about your thoughts on color choice and values. How do you plan them?
@Rotohail Thanks for your comments and suggestions, Rotohail! I ended up spending quite a bit of time adjusting values and colours after your comments. It's a hard one because 80s clothing palettes always lean towards the lighter side with values, so finding that balance of colour and value read is excruciating. Unfortunately I wish I could say I plan my values, but I largely didn't for this. My colour choice was around fabric - I went with light jeans because I wanted that fake denim look (because real genuine denim jeans are restrictive in terms of movement, especially for skateboarding). And I knew from the start I wanted green as a main colour for this character. So really, I just have the worst process of fiddling around until something looks "okay" hahah

So it's ended up looking like this:
[Image: 4f54cf8054aa18fb44963dcfcbd698742305d95c.jpg]

I'm currently working on shading it, so things might change as I go along lol

---------

These recent drawings below got me like:

[Image: bcefa89c9fea1fbda9682637cd41891965309202.jpg]

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving doing them and having so much fun - I wake up hyped to get back to working on these images. But I'm also currently in a trinity of hell of trying to: draw the same character consistently, give the character a sense personality, and not relying on reference so much. A lot of these drawings are referenced to some degree (especially the falling ones) but there's a painful amount of problem solving when it comes to trying to rotate the same bloody outfit and character in different perspectives. I suck at it, but I keep persevering because I know the more I practice and learn, the easier it will become. 

These drawings are only about half of what I have done. They are still in the draft phase (I mean half of them barely have proper hands lmao).

Good news is I don't fear drawing shoes anymore (well, at least Vans SK8-HI shoes haha). But hair has become my new nemesis. I'm cursing myself for going for a 'spiky' style because a few misplaced hairs and the character starts looking like an anime protagonist.

[Image: 2a2846f521c18b4fd9f37c6d2bf4304b2d8d6b12.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta 

And though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea
he looks great chubby! poses got so much story!!

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Even the more referenced sketches look very stylistically consistent, at least to me. I feel like I'm looking at the same dude.

Also, you gotta have the spiky hair. If not spiky, it should at least have a lot of body. It's EIGHTIES!
You don't suck.Sucking is refusing to try.The rest is just a question of time and effort.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
@Fedodika Thanks Fed!! I'm glad the poses look like they have story behind them :)

@Pubic Enemy Thanks!!! I'm thrilled that it's reading like the same dude, since that was my biggest fear. Hearing that it's feeling stylistically consistent is a big bonus.
I constantly battle with the hair to not have it end up looking like a christmas tree lmao. But yes, needs as much body as it can get since ti's the 80's! :P

@darktiste Thanks for the encouraging words!

------
Thank you again to everyone for the encouraging words. I've still been at it. This round of sketches was slightly easier than the last. I still have a few more in ugly draft phases I'm chipping away at (idk how I ended up with so many lmao)
Originally this was just meant to push me with drawing the same character consistently, story, and everything else I've rambled on about above. But some of this has got me thinking that I can push these further in terms of taking these sketches and using them to experiment with colour and lighting them. I mean, I have these sketches, I may as well line art them and play around with lighting, mood and atmosphere. Hell, I might even try and add some form of background to several. I'm already crying over how hard the drawing part is... what is a few more tears. I can't keep sticking everything on a white background forever haha. 

Sketchbook // Insta 

youve got the design chubby, the sky's the limit!!

Use sketchup and make a cool background!!

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Someone as mastered gesture it seem.Time to start selling your own course on gesture?

My Sketchbook
Been a while since I last saw your artworks chubby_cat. I am so happy to see that you continued to learn and update your sketchbook!

The last few drawings are looking really great! Lots of cool line weight and gestures going into the artworks, and the design itself is looking really cool!

As for background, I am actually going to suggest you download Blender and start mocking up 3D models to use as a base for the backgrounds. Its very simple to learn how to blockmesh and set out lights in Blender, and the software itself is completely free.

Keep up the good work!

Final look is quite pleasing! The first batch of gestures, with the falls, are the ones I like the most, new batch has a lot more energy in many, but there's a few things like the straight arm coming out of the top-left one or on the bottom-right one, the foot angle on the skate, should be looked after (I think that lift of the skate is done with the toes not the whole foot because bending upwards at the ankle like that, I'm not sure is quite possible anatomically speaking). I think you also updated his face looks?
Ha ha ha, yeah consistency is haunting, backgrounds would be nice but I would say you should try designing a new character and doing another batch. Make a crew of skaters! If you still want to go for consistency training.
I think also for consistency what is usually given as advice is have clear simple shapes/volumes, and make your characters very identifiable, then is easier to make them read, even when you might make some mistakes (no robots allowed!) they won't be much of a bother. I think you have achieved this quite well with this one. High-five!
@Fedodika The sky is the limit! Just gotta keep pushing and learning every day to reach it :) I will add sketchup to the list! Currently I've been trying to learn Blender, which is handy-dandy

@darktiste Haha it'd be a tragic mess :P I'd have to pay people to take it lmao

@Zorrentos Thanks for popping by and the kind words!! I'm glad you like the line weight - it's been something I've been trying to work on the past while. I attempted to learn Blender in the past but after your suggestion, I've been making more time for it. It's pretty good, and well worth it for backgrounds. I was using PortraitStudio previously, but Blender is great for placing cameras so you don't loose your angle while adjusting/building things.

@Rotohail High-five! Oof, you are so right about that foot - idk where my mind was when I was drawing that lmao. I've fixed it and hopefully(?) fixed up the problematic arm in the other piece. I wish I could say I've updated the face.. in truth it's just me not knowing how to draw (fml back to the issue of consistency lol). Good tip re clear shapes and volumes. I do intend to do what you've suggested and do a crew of skaters (this whole project is loosely based off the Bones Brigade)! So I will be sure to really play with clear shapes on the next character. Thanks for the tips :)

-----
Biiiiiiig update. 

Finally starting to wrap up this character. I do have a final drawing in the works, which is like a cover/splash image (I use that term extremely loosely). I coloured my drawings and it got a bit wild on some (seriously, it gets brighter and saturated the more you scroll haha). Some work, other are just big yikes I can't seem to get right despite endless fiddling. I've come to realise my understanding of how lighting works is atrocious (read: non-existent) and is something I need to work on and learn more, but hopefully the images have good vibes to them. 

I went bold with the background colours. Tried to be comic-book-esque / graphic. I mean if I ain't gonna experiment with bold colours in an 80's setting, when am I going to.
Gonna keep editing these for the time being, see if I can push/adjust any of them to look nicer

[Image: dbf15cd678e3f7543ac159a53181a3ac1b3f4de1.jpg]
[Image: 41fd7589bab5714ee739dad66d2efa64bd615513.jpg]
[Image: 1d0dd86df1b72e4b55fd781365c79802ba8e65f6.jpg]

[Image: 00b0f8938a374b95790ba9d26f65374ef38e3ae8.jpg]

[Image: fa56bf54db9428e75c275d598ec4561b9638ac91.jpg]

[Image: 94b7d101a8b80bdbe8b5c3a748e07ce46842fe7f.jpg]

[Image: 9aeb3df309fcfa62e0e9e740b43d2110af49d931.jpg]

[Image: 642e6659366d35e2464e9f22f8456728683e7605.jpg]

[Image: 384774c9d07af24409b780f07302435f9039c58c.jpg]

[Image: e271c0081687f26d414df83451368c6bf42c5f09.jpg]

[Image: ca8f70fda597ca99c2706f3a60603c493babdb07.jpg]

[Image: 748daff929d04b748ef48b899c31c0aa232eef7f.jpg]

[Image: 6dbf072eae2d29af33a2865ccb64b7c932ed8dc5.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta 

The most saturated ones are my favorites, so good work there, LOL.

Lighting is extremely hard, for sure. If you haven't studied the perspective of shadows much (like in this page: https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/perspect6.html) I recommend doing so. Even if you never manually plot out shadows, it helps to give you a strategy for thinking about them, even for shadows on complex forms, which are practically impossible to plot out (or at least extremely impractical).

In the fourth to last image you have the light coming from different directions on the character and skateboard/skateboarding pit, but it looks like it was intentional, to avoid having the entire character in shadow.
I like em!

I think his expression here is strange, like he looks kinda grumpy in this angle

https://66.media.tumblr.com/55f02e89296a...2c5f09.jpg

Why not excited or intense, he has those feelings right ;)

I think the camera angle is static too, you could do a simple transform and just rotate the image to give it a twist in a very simple way

I have not done what you are doing here, so probably I can not give very good advice,
but in some few occasions I have the impression there might be a little broken anatomy,
for example in the 6th pic his left foot, isnt it?
Besides that nitpicky thing I think its cool.
@Pubic Enemy Ah, I have such a love/hate relationship with the saturated ones haha. I'm glad you like em though! Thanks for the link as well! I'll go over it and start to learn perspectives of shadows. And good note re that image; I had mainly did it to create layers of values, but as you've pointed out, it really doesn't make such sense, haha. I've reversed it.. still not technically correct by all means, but looks more believable :P Thanks again!

@Fedodika Grumpy expression is my default, it seems lmao. I've tried to change it, make him look at least a lil excited . I also did your suggestion of rotating so it's less static, but I think it's so minute it doesn't show. Thanks for the pointers! I think it looks a lot better now.

@graphicnovelist That foot was the bane of my existence for a long long time haha. I did the stupid thing of keeping trying to transform it and make it work, rather than do a redraw. I've redrawn it now though, and I think it looks better. Thanks for pointing it out and I'm happy to hear you think it looks cool.

-----
Edits below. I'm a lot happier with these two images now thanks to everyone's feedback!
I'm wrapping up the character with a final illustration. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I really tried to push the fact that we are slightly looking up at the character. Basically, I'm trying to rectify the perspective mistakes I made with the bald guy on a box study I did not so long ago. Really push myself more with it and not be so timid with looking up at something.

[Image: ef73eabddab63ac61b1d9392892b33616323b11a.jpg]

[Image: 64bf84d6864084b479efd43b87a9cc68120939bb.jpg][Image: 6f8cf61ac19137cfc74ad52f5890a5bff08df3dd.jpg]

Started working on my next character as well. Literally think just the complete opposite of what I have done. The previous character had a custom board, this kid has a trashed one with just stickers on it. I drew jeans, now Imma draw some shorts (which means I'm currently brushing up on leg anatomy). Spikey hair, is now smooth flowing locks. Etc Etc. Shape language will be rectangle + circle. Going for an easy going, space cowboy kinda character. 

There's supposed to be nothing curated about the board - it's just a bunch of slapped on stickers collected over time. Thinking of pursuing 1, 2 and 7. Maaaybe 8 too.   

[Image: a28a211ade7c85c78db77f0e7addfac44532c265.jpg]

On a side note, I finally bought a board. It's 80's shape but the graphic is so utterly 70's I love it. Ready for the pain of learning to skate, just gotta keep my fingers crossed I don't hurt (read: break) my delicate artist wrists lmao. Wish me luck 

Sketchbook // Insta 

Images look good to me. The new illustration looks good to me as well; the only thing I can think of that would improve the "looking up" impression would be to have him sitting further back on the wall, but that would require re-drawing his legs with more foreshortened thighs. I think it basically works as-is.

Also, good luck with the skateboarding. I hope you don't hurt your drawing hand, LOL!
@Pubic Enemy Thanks! Good suggestion re making him sit back more to increase the foreshortening and perspective more. Though I don't mind redrawing it, it was intentional that he is kinda lazily sitting on the edge of the wall. Thanks though! And thanks for the luck wishes. I need all the luck I can get haha. I think wrist guards are next on the purchase list :P

------

Yoooo, ya'll do yourself a favour and bookmark this lil gem here: https://modelindexdatabase.smugmug.com/Croquis-Cafe-Model-Photo-Database

I recently found it when watching the Croquis Cafe life drawing videos on vimeo. Turns out they've documented all their images into a massive database that is searchable as well. It's quickly become my new go to for figure poses. It's hella good.

I've been dedicating an hour a day into the Schoolism course: Deconstructed: Drawing People with Viktor Kalvachev. A lot of the first half of the course covers cross hatching techniques, so it's useful for anyone wanting to learn more about that too. 
The man crawling image is from the Schoolism exercise while the lady drawings are using 'Saturn' from the Croquis cafe database (she has some really excellent poses)

[Image: b2790fcd4945988be9e851f70dc0c24beb3b0e0a.jpg]

More skateboard thumbs too. Changed a lot of the stickers and feeling a lot better about the design now. I'm kinda a sucker for the top row

[Image: 148f3c8c41bbdfd5712381add21b2f64ece20d57.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta 

I feel like there no enough use of the concept of big medium small in your shape in the lastest skateboard design.Everything is fighting for the attention.It nice to have detail to but it should read aswell.Of course since it probably mostly the character who is the focus the skateboard is more of a supporting element but if we were talking in term of this image alone from a design stand point that what i would have to say about.If i would have to choose i would have an hard time as i don't see any design in particular who stand out from the rest.

My Sketchbook
@darktiste Ah, you are so right. I thought I had sized everything okay but looking back at it now, everything is basically the same size LOL. I've started trying to rectify it, but no doubt I'll keep fiddling with sizes as I keep looking at it. Thanks for the observation, super helpful!

[Image: b9984d8c38ca3d3f7b5df8990aba7035f74067e9.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta