chubbycat's sketchbook!
''Since it's intended to be a (concept art) portfolio piece''.

The question i think you need to ask yourself is what do you want to be know for as a concept artist?What do you want your niche to be...the thing that make you stand out from your competition.If that not a question you have answered yet perhaps you need to explore more.What make you feel like it the time for a portfolio?What kind of industry your aiming for animation,movie,video game,product design etc.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Rainbow 
You've come a long way since you started this sketchbook chubby — I mean even back in 2016 your lines were good but you've definitely taken them to the next level.

This latest guy your working on and the entire theme is great, all that stands out to me as a bit strange are the arms on the latest splash art piece.

Think you're doing the right thing, which is sticking to it and making steady progress.
Absolutely love the designs you came up with for the skater and skateboard, it works really well! Your linework is at an insane level as well, very crisp and confident and all around just looks great. I also enjoy the poses and setting you came up with, it really helps ground the figure and make him very believable. Sorry I can't offer much in terms of critiques, just impressive work all around and I look forward to more updates!

Your latest updates are insane, good job.
You must be very patient with all those lines! The colors you chosed are definitelly comic like so you succeeded there for sure!

@darktiste *sweating* KO'ing me with those tough questions lmao. I'd love to do games, or film/shows. Anything really (just not graphic design cause I be doing that and I ain't having much fun). I'm basically just sick of the two jobs I work at and want to f i n a l l y turn my passion into a source of income.

@scrap Thanks scrap! I can't even look at my first few pages of this sketchbook without cringing inside haha. But I guess that just shows progress? Thanks for the feedback re the arms! I tried to fix them for the finally piece, but they still just looked like cylinders LOL. Time for some arm studies I think.

@cgmythology Thanks for your kind words!! I'm glad you love the latest concept - it's always great to hear people respond positively to things.

@Shuty Thank you!! Line work is my favourite part of the process. I could do it all day :)

--------

Thumbnails for my rectangle + circle man. Tried exaggerating the body and gave him legs for days. Hopefully the chaos of the previous board concept makes a bit more sense now. I also tried to really go 80's with it in the shorts and jackets/jumpers. I kinda dig 1 cause it takes a certain kind of person to wear a tshirt over a jumper lmao

Couldn't resist experimenting with some Johnny Ramone hair too

[Image: ae9d57346d28099a6a440825aeea2aca28e0b1af.jpg]

Also drawing some noodles. Currently working through Proko's leg anatomy course (still in early stages) and it's made me appreciate knees a lot more - the concept of the hard form of the knee being relief from the more fleshy parts. Still hate drawing legs, but I'm starting to come around 

[Image: d219dff11596fcfdae510a7fff6a9adf4ec20d31.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta 

And though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea
Legs looks pretty sweet! It's got me inspired to also study them hehe
I enjoyed seeing the skaterboy and all the illustrations around that whole project, quite extensive.
You're doing great, keep it up :D Thanks for sharing

Though question are sometime though love in disguise.

My Sketchbook
with shoes it looks accurate, but without shoes arent his feet a bit too long? (1st pic, not 2nd)

(07-21-2020, 04:46 AM)graphicnovelist Wrote: with shoes it looks accurate, but without shoes arent his feet a bit too long? (1st pic, not 2nd)

Not necessarily. His feet are equal to about 2 thirds of the length of his foreleg (if you measure from the lowest to the highest point of the tibia), which is not unheard of in real people. But they stick out because he has large feet and very thin legs. It's mainly an issue of stylistic preference. It doesn't stick out to me because of the overall cartoony style, personally.
@Uiriamu Thank you for all your kind words! It was a struggle to draw them (the legs) but I feel like I'm learning a lot. And I'm glad you enjoy my skater boy project! I have tonnes of fun with it so it makes my heart happy to hear other people enjoy it too haha.

@graphicnovelist & @Pubic Enemy Isn't it also a thing that your foot (or shoe size at least) is as long as your forearm? I could be making that up (LOL) but that's kinda what I drew the feet into proportion of. It definitely was a style choice to have tiny pins for legs and then larger feet to offset the height.

------
Does anyone else have those days were it just feels like art is giving you the biggest middle finger and just n o t h i n g  is working. Art be a cruel mistress. 

Or maybe it's just this week cause I've been starting to play with fire and contemplating taking on another concept art project (though it's much smaller than my skater crew). Something Victorian Era spooky to be a breather from my 80's colour explosion. I definitely have a set style for my 80s project, but I wanna explore different techniques. I want some goth vibes with muted colour palette, changing up my line art look for it to something perhaps a bit thinner. I've also been playing with adding lines that somewhat represent hatching, but not enough to technically be compared to it. 

Anyway, just exploring style below with some line weight 
All my other explorations this week have gone into the bin

[Image: 55522a8f335499c24a7228b4b181a1f1061b430f.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta 

When art show you the midddle finger cross you finger and keep going.

My Sketchbook
Hey there, been a while
Great work, especially all the skater stuff, the legs on them are looking particularly great ha
Just having a quick browse, something that stands out to me is how tentative you are with your shadow placement
it ends up looking all very similar in size and spacing which reduces the visual contrast of the piece, not talking values exactly, more like shape and size variety.

you featured some Leyendecker works which you seemed to like
One of the things he does masterfully is shadow design and grouping which serves a bunch of purposes
from as mentioned visual contrast but also leading the eye as desired around the Piece, giving a better read of it
at a glance.
this kinda cell is out of my zone of comfort, but hopefully demonstrates adequately what I'm trying to expresss[Image: po_chubby_by_andrew_gibbons_de1v6g7-pre....N25hxh5kpU]

And if you want to nerd out over shadow shapes with me for a moment,
check out the level of composing and guidance he;s providing with these confidently places shadow shapes.
Theres so many tricks used to keep your eye traveling as intended
Arrow shapes everywhere making it hard to trail off the piece.

[Image: ld_by_andrew_gibbons_de1v7bg-pre.jpg?tok...uhcUPoqw0w]

Anyway, hope you've been well and more power to you as always,
killin it, keep leveling up

GUMROAD | ARTSTATIONINSTAGRAM | YOUTUBETWITCH | SKETCHBOOK
Discord tag: AndrewGibbons#3357
@darktiste Yea, just gotta keep going!

@xelfereht Cry Cry Cry Thank you so much for the feedback, Andrew!!! It was so utterly wonderful and I cannot express how much I appreciate it and the paintover. You're very right about how I use shadows; I always get intimated af by them and end up erring on the side of caution until the shadows basically become non existent LOL.

I ended up joining you and nerd-ed out over some Leyendecker shadow shapes. I've noticed the angles he uses, and how he almost layers the depths of his shadows with shapes (like, for example, you can notice that the most in the woman's dress in the spoiler tag below)

I tried to replicate those vibes in my piece, but I may have taken it too far lol. Anyway, after your feedback I went back and repainted the whole thing. I hope it's looking more interesting now. It feels a lil too dark maybe, but that could just be me still being timid with shadows haha

I hope you have been well too! Thank you again for your feedback!

------
Revised image thanks to Andrew's feedback

[Image: 7b28c83f251cc0dbc886267c2f7ee3452d3c04a1.jpg]

Chugging along with my new skater and tried to pull some shape language into the jacket pattern design. Feelin 2, 3 and 7 so far. Maybe 12 too. 10's kinda dorky so naturally I'm tempted for that too lmao 

[Image: 406c03a5370cb4be0e1a542ccc564502bd61d9f9.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta 

(07-28-2020, 01:38 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: @xelfereht Cry Cry Cry Thank you so much for the feedback, Andrew!!! It was so utterly wonderful and I cannot express how much I appreciate it and the paintover. You're very right about how I use shadows; I always get intimated af by them and end up erring on the side of caution until the shadows basically become non existent LOL.

I ended up joining you and nerd-ed out over some Leyendecker shadow shapes. I've noticed the angles he uses, and how he almost layers the depths of his shadows with shapes (like, for example, you can notice that the most in the woman's dress in the spoiler tag below)

I think its definitely a step in a good direction  Thumbs_up

If you feel intimidated by it just have it on a new layer, if you wanna have a second go, hide that layer and try another variation then you can also compare a few approaches and maybe learn about what tends to feel best to you.

you can also duplicate the image, adjust it down in and paint back in the lights if your'e more comfortable painting light area than shadows

and remember to step back or if in photoshop have a 2nd window of the piece open
to check the read at a distance even while painting more zoomed in.
in photoshop tool bar (window-arrange-new window for...)

bearing in mind the sorta thumbnail size read will be a good skill to cultivate  Stupid
keep going champ

@xelfereht Thanks again, Andrew! Funnily enough my process is very mask layer driven, so I really have no reason at all to be intimidated since fixes are a lot easier lmao. I'm going back through and playing with it still and seeing how far I can push it. I've also been using the thumbnail window a lot more since you've suggested it too, so hopefully my next pieces will read better from the get go.

-------

Chipping away at this dude still and honestly having a lot of fun with it. Attempting full on bright 80's windbreaker vibes with the jacket but how saturated is too saturated lmao.  

[Image: 5932e948d156fdaf9a254dda8e1da7555f2ee6f7.jpg]
[Image: 27cca07e470ed480e5f1cc67fcf8ab5647f6a7e6.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta 

haha he really reminds me of this guy, must be the hair lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ7g1uUYe9M

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
@Fedodika Oh it's totally the hair lmao

-----

No real other update. Andrew's feedback got me going back and pushing my concept piece for the previous dude to try and make it more interesting. He got a lil face update too (mainly in the linework weight side of it all). Overall, a lot more happy with it.

[Image: 1054b6f61a73be202f778f7fa4c41de0b8d9ace9.jpg]

[Image: c3a78c3c0c6d3cbf4c0b9ad38f15c4ee44cc877e.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta 

definitely got a bit more weighty developed look,
quite successful on the clothes, i think might be able to pump in a tinge of blue to simulate ambient some sky light
on the face maybe the left has a nice warmer look though the change to his eyes looks good on the right
the left having some warmer light over all looks more convincing as outdoor on a nice day
the right looks a bit shy of warmth from the sun but heavier shadows than might sell an overcast

maybe a bit more warm sunlight for the right one is what im saying
could even try a layer with a few key highlights to really add a layer of effect  Rolling eyes, funny thought

@xelfereht Thanks again for your comments Andrew! I agree that the right is too cool, but also left is a bit too warm, lmao. I had at it again and worked on adjusting all my shadows/light layers to try and pump some warmth back in. I think it's looking better? I'm not totally convinced with the jeans, so I'll keep fiddling with those shadow colours

[Image: e9a404586331aa7b76514890e62e261a388e829b.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta 

(08-07-2020, 07:55 AM)chubby_cat Wrote: @xelfereht Thanks again for your comments Andrew! I agree that the right is too cool, but also left is a bit too warm, lmao. I had at it again and worked on adjusting all my shadows/light layers to try and pump some warmth back in. I think it's looking better? I'm not totally convinced with the jeans, so I'll keep fiddling with those shadow colours

Was playing around with some layer modes, some blue on a layer set to saturation at 24% looked promising i thought

[Image: annotation_2020_08_07_101258_by_andrew_g...2ZQg157sSU]

You've done well building out your shadow shapes.
I think with some more reference observation you can get some further descriptive and interesting shadows going yet
for example this guys forearms  Thumbs_up  and hes got some neat ones in the clothing too
[Image: 6bfb1d47a813b5e51cef8d117eb74178.jpg]