Loose brushstrokes or refined paintings?
Hello guys! I'd like to ask, if anyone can tell me, if a portfolio has lots of paintings with loose brushstrokes - great composition, values and narrative, of course - are there chances of getting a job as a concept artist? Or are detailed paintings more "acceptable" in the field? What are the fields that looks for artists who can bring a effective results in a short amount of time, with a sketchy style? Does anyone has an advice on creating a portfolio that can get the industry attention? 

Thank you!
I would say the way you are thinking about it is not really the "right" way to look at it. Concept design is about design first and foremost. That requires a lot of fundamentals knowledge (for any kind of representational artwork of course) visual library and a honed ability to deconstruct design and reconstruct it in ways that are believable for games and movies.

The rendering style is pretty much open. Of course in a tight production pipeline speed and volume of designs is often a priority which is why so much concept design can have a "sketchy or loose" finish.

I'm not sure the "industry" as a whole looks for a particular render style first when it comes to concept artists. It is a combination for sure, but pretty much if you can create beliievable as well as unique designs whatever the style might be, I think that will be what you should aim for.

Again I think it's a bit of a red herring to use getting industry "attention" as a primary focus of a folio and the work you do. You should do work that you are excited by and passionate about. WHen those things are in your folio they will tend to get more attention than things where you tried too hard to fit a mold.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
(03-06-2017, 09:00 AM)Amit Dutta Wrote: I would say the way you are thinking about it is not really the "right" way to look at it.  Concept design is about design first and foremost. That requires a lot of fundamentals knowledge (for any kind of representational artwork of course) visual library and a honed ability to deconstruct design and reconstruct it in ways that are believable for games and movies.

The rendering style is pretty much open. Of course in a tight production pipeline speed and volume of designs is often a priority which is why so much concept design can have a "sketchy or loose" finish.

I'm not sure the "industry" as a whole looks for a particular render style first when it comes to concept artists. It is a combination for sure, but pretty much if you can create beliievable as well as unique designs whatever the style might be, I think that will be what you should aim for.

Again I think it's a bit of a red herring to use getting industry "attention" as a primary focus of a folio and the work you do. You should do work that you are excited by and passionate about. WHen those things are in your folio they will tend to get more attention than things where you tried too hard to fit a mold.
 Thank you for replying! 
Yeah, I think I wasn't looking in the "right" way, one of the reasons why I asked this. I will absolutely keep doing what I love the way I love and, of course, studying the principles and fundamentals to get better. Everything will be consequence of hard work :) I just wanted to know what are the opinions about it. Thanks!