Digital painting from reference (need suggestions)
Second try at doing a digital painting photo study,
I find that it takes me a super super long time just to paint something that seems pretty simple.
Any suggestions on my work method?
I never learnt how to paint from teachers but I have read some books,
I wonder if this is alright.

Attached Files Image(s)

One way to help speed up the process and make it easier could be doing a quick gesture sketch of the full image before painting. You can leave the sketch at a bottom layer and cover it as you go, It's easier to get the overall composition down if you start with a sketch first. Beautiful finished product regardless. :)
Are you analysing the images before you begin for enough time? Are you clear what you want to learn and improve out of the exercise? Do you know how you are going to approach the study? Do you know what a fail and a pass is for your study? These are the preliminaries that will help you approach a study...the WHY.

I don't see a sketch phase in your process. If you don't sketch out basic information, proportions, shadow, light etc, then you will waste time tweaking it afterwards during rendering. Being able to simplify complex things down to basics is the thing that separates master artists from those still developing. Simplification is key. Always try to work from simplest most basic (sketch encompassing proportion/shape/perspective/form) to progressively more detailed rendering of light and materials.

That's just a workflow tip, but the analysis before and after a study is always the most important part. Also, don't just do photo studies. Study from life, you will learn 100x more in one study, especially for light and materials rendering.

And if you want better feedback, post the reference you use for studies, or we have no idea what you are working from to be able to provide any relevant suggestions specific to what you were working off.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
(04-01-2017, 02:05 PM)Beluga_sketch Wrote: One way to help speed up the process and make it easier could be doing a quick gesture sketch of the full image before painting. You can leave the sketch at a bottom layer and cover it as you go, It's easier to get the overall composition down if you start with a sketch first. Beautiful finished product regardless. :)

thank you! will do that
(04-01-2017, 10:23 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: Are you analysing the images before you begin for enough time? Are you clear what you want to learn and improve out of the exercise? Do you know how you are going to approach the study? Do you know what a fail and a pass is for your study? These are the preliminaries that will help you approach a study...the WHY.

I don't see a sketch phase in your process. If you don't sketch out basic information, proportions, shadow, light etc, then you will waste time tweaking it afterwards during rendering. Being able to simplify complex things down to basics is the thing that separates master artists from those still developing. Simplification is key. Always try to work from simplest most basic (sketch encompassing proportion/shape/perspective/form) to progressively more detailed rendering of light and materials.

That's just a workflow tip, but the analysis before and after a study is always the most important part. Also, don't just do photo studies. Study from life, you will learn 100x more in one study, especially for light and materials rendering.

And if you want better feedback, post the reference you use for studies, or we have no idea what you are working from to be able to provide any relevant suggestions specific to what you were working off.

I just wanted to practice painting hair...
I attached the reference now.
I forgot to take more process pics, but basically I just painted the shape of the hair first with 3 colors, dark, midtone and light.

Attached Files Image(s)