Sketchbook - practices, sketches, studies, doodles and noodles!
Hi guys, I dunno where to post failed sketches, studies and such so I guess I'll post them here haha. Trying to do things outside my comfort zone hoping to improve more.

first mood study ever after realizing I had no idea how to mood and things like that:

second mood study (unfinished but calling it done):

mood practice:

composition practice:

warm up sketch before work:

post-work value/shape practice:

I tried to keep them all as quick as possible, with approximately 15-20 minutes maximum each, but for the last one it took approx. 20-30 minutes because I tried different lighting scenarios. gotta git gud!

whoa, turns out their sizes here are too big for my liking, non-polished things like this look even worse when zoomed hahaha.
quick study from ref and then stylizing it:

hmm not sure on stylizing a general, normal body shape like this.. maybe stylizing the hair as her signature/focal point?

lunch sketch:

Hi evsan,

Well a sketchbook is as good a place as any to share your explorations, but I would add it's important to not think of them as failed sketches at all! Even as a joke, 'cuz to be honest we've heard it sooooooooo often from everyone before you, the joke's worn thin, and if my observations are anything to go by, people who joke about failing tend to convince themselves it's the truth.

Everybody starts somewhere and anything you post should be thought of as what you've done before now and not where you're at now and have it follow you.

For instance - a lot of these look like really good bases for more developed ideas! They just look like that initial stage is as far as you've gotten. It's important to push each painting/sketch as much as you think you can. That's where we often surprise ourselves of our capabilities. When there are doubts, think about why and ask for help - heaps of people here happy to provide advise!

Welcome, and hope to see more!

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Hey man, cool work!
The colors in your paintings look really good, good values and everything works well together. What they lack is tighter drawing, right now they are fuzzy and lack definition, this I bet is because of sloppy drawing. It's always better to make a tighter drawing and then lose some of that detail when you paint instead of going in blind, especially when you don't have a firm grasp of drawing to start with.
Drawing is the most important skill, even if you want to make your stuff more painterly later. It's the foundation to everything.
So keep up your studies and stuff and have fun! Like Rottenpocket wrote, dont even sweat it about "failed" sketches etc. that shit never goes away, your goal will always be 10 steps ahead of your skill, and thats a good thing. Most important skill is to be able to see when you mess up and learn from it!
Cheers!

Shocked 
(05-02-2017, 03:34 PM)RottenPocket Wrote: Hi evsan,

Well a sketchbook is as good a place as any to share your explorations, but I would add it's important to not think of them as failed sketches at all! Even as a joke, 'cuz to be honest we've heard it sooooooooo often from everyone before you, the joke's worn thin, and if my observations are anything to go by, people who joke about failing tend to convince themselves it's the truth.

Everybody starts somewhere and anything you post should be thought of as what you've done before now and not where you're at now and have it follow you.

For instance - a lot of these look like really good bases for more developed ideas! They just look like that initial stage is as far as you've gotten. It's important to push each painting/sketch as much as you think you can. That's where we often surprise ourselves of our capabilities. When there are doubts, think about why and ask for help - heaps of people here happy to provide advise!

Welcome, and hope to see more!

hi mate, thanks for coming! ermm nah it was not a joke, why would I joke about failing? Insane, ecstatic

I consider it as a failure when it doesn't meet my expectation or has mistakes ^^

but thank you so much for your insight and advise, I appreciate em! cheers!
(05-02-2017, 11:35 PM)alexson Wrote: Hey man, cool work!
The colors in your paintings look really good, good values and everything works well together. What they lack is tighter drawing, right now they are fuzzy and lack definition, this I bet is because of sloppy drawing. It's always better to make a tighter drawing and then lose some of that detail when you paint instead of going in blind, especially when you don't have a firm grasp of drawing to start with.
Drawing is the most important skill, even if you want to make your stuff more painterly later. It's the foundation to everything.
So keep up your studies and stuff and have fun! Like Rottenpocket wrote, dont even sweat it about "failed" sketches etc. that shit never goes away, your goal will always be 10 steps ahead of your skill, and thats a good thing. Most important skill is to be able to see when you mess up and learn from it!
Cheers!

thank you so much for your kind words!

yeah, I agree - they sure lack definition because of my lack of form, shapes, and drawing skills. I admit I kinda avoided drawing because I prefer to just paint LOL but I've been trying to improve my fundamental and also drawing skill recently in hope to get better! Insane, ecstatic

thanks for your insight and advise buddy! cheers!

P.S.
I saw your works on artstation and they're so AMAZING!
uhh man, the interface is really confusing @_@

here's some still life I did!

sketched some random face for fun:

exploring color schemes

study

study