Flea's Fundamentals
Bug 
Here I will try to post updates of my progress as I take the plunge into fundamentals, including (but not limited to) form/structure, anatomy, perspective, composition, color and shadow. Hopefully, the existence of this sketchbook will give me the push I need to draw more regularly and actually improve!

Current fundamental subject: Figure drawing and anatomy (with help from Proko's videos and Croquis Cafe).

My short-term goals are...
  • to rely less on references for decent results.
  • to master the fundamentals.
  • to venture into digital art.
  • to improve to portfolio-ready level.
My long-term goals are...
  • to get into plein air/urban sketching.
  • to create a graphic novel/webcomic.
  • to get into the concept and video game art industry.
From November to December, figure drawings ranging from 1-30 minutes:
[Image: cmPThQX.jpg]
[Image: jxuRG4g.jpg]
[Image: 4y914x8.jpg]
[Image: l4U2bJE.jpg]

Some portrait studies from early this month:
[Image: kJTHHYK.jpg]
[Image: uuLagAp.jpg]

And, lastly, a couple cards I finished a few days ago, which don't have much to do with the fundamentals but are the most recent works I've done:
[Image: jqL7tmj.jpg]
I advice drawbox and ctrl paint so that you have traditional and digital and understanding.They complement each other nicely i would advice starting with drawbox doing all the draw box exercise a few time each than move on to ctrl paint for more design concept and understanding of digital media and it will also add more new other exercise you can along side the exercise of drawbox.Note i encourage doing the drawbox exercise in digital also .

http://drawabox.com
https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library

What is good about those particular website is that it as a selection of exercise to do along having a wild range of topic covered and video and sometime text to take note from.

I couldn't resist giving my 2 cent on this topic.They helped me so much in gaining to know what type of exercise i can do to get better at drawing and there so well organize that it a must look at website.

Visit my sketchbook
Intention observation action!
Bug 
Thank you for the suggestions! I've definitely tried a few of the Draw A Box exercises but, admittedly, I did these a few months ago and haven't been keeping track of the lessons since then:

[Image: vs6bp6T.jpg][Image: UItHKg3.jpg][Image: siek4Nn.jpg][Image: DgEd9IQ.jpg]
Below you will find some comment i think might help you start to learn how to be able to make smart goal i will also note how achieveable those goal are.
Those goal with be evaluated by those criteria

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Relevant
Deadline

My short-term goals are...

To rely less on references for decent results. 0/5

Specific 0/1
What subject you want to be able to rely on reference???
Measurable 0/1
How can you evaluate the progress you making here there so many thing you need to learn
Relevant 0/1
I don't personally believe that you need to be rely less on reference since you in such a early stage of learning.
Attainable 0/1
It not specific enought to result into an Attainable goal
Relevant It is a relevant goal but i don't think it is a priorities when you barely have any fundamental
Deadline 0/1
Without a deadline a goal cannot be stressed resulting in never ending goal.
Solution: Try to determine how much time you have to complete a task.

To master the fundamentals. 1/5

Specific 0/1
What exact fundamental you trying to improve???
Attainable 0/1
It not realistic goal EVER since it so large and learning is not something that ever stop.
Solution: Work on one fundamentals.For the duration of 1 week and than check on the result and than choose what other fundamental to work on next.
Relevant 1/1
It a relevant goal to desire such high goal but it not possible one since there is no end to mastery.
Deadline 0/1
There is no end to mastery

To venture into digital art. 2/5
Specific 0/1
it a rather vague goal what is being learn here exactly???
Measurable 0/1
How will you evaluate the progress of this goal?
Attainable 1/1
Do you have a tablet yet if not you don't got a point here.
Relevant 1/1
It a relevant goal but i suggest investing time to get familiar with the pen and paper and some marker first.
Deadline 0/1
When will you start???A precise date and time if possible.

To improve to portfolio-ready level.
not sure that you could achieve this in a short term so i won't be giving a score to this one.

My long-term goals are...

To get into plein air/urban sketching.  1/4
This a realistic goal but it might not be the best time of the year depending on where you are
This doesn't have to be a long term goal but it might not be a priority right now.
Specific 0/1
Where and when?
Measurable 0/1
When will you start ?How long will you be working on this goal?
Attainable 0/1
How will you be able to achieve this goal?
Relevant 1/1
-
Deadline 0/1

To create a graphic novel/webcomic. 1/5
Specific 0/1
What genre,how many page,what kind of format,how many people will work on the project???
Measurable  0/1
Attainable 0/1
Relevant 1/1
-
Deadline  0/1

To get into the concept and video game art industry. 2/5
Specific 1/1
Measurable  0/1
Attainable 0/1
I don't think it a priorities unless you want to work for an low quality project to gain experience.
Relevant 1/1
-
Deadline  0/1

I have also inclued here my method to create clear goal
---
Specific- Your goals need to be specific.  That means you will need to ask yourself what you want to accomplish, why you want to accomplish it, and who is involved in helping you accomplish this goal.  You will also need to identify any impediments and constraints to accomplishing your goals.  I know this may seem like a contradiction to the first point, but there is a difference between being specific and being too specific.

Key to clear goal
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Relevant
Deadline

Tips:Make it fun and rewarding

How to make a smart goal
"The key is not to prioritize what’s on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities."

Common pitfalls

1.You’re goal are to easy or hard to achieve.

2.You didn’t set the right time to achieve you’re goal.
You have other priorities that get in the way or you simply don't have time due to other obligation that you can't subtract yourself from.

3.Getting discouraged when progress is slow.
If you find that you progress slowly you might went to review how you do the task or ask for help but you should always be patient with yourself will learning anything new and never let yourself drift away from a task to go procrastinate.

4.setting goals that require a major disruption in everyday life Could lead you to think about other stuff that also need to be done but are reported because of the goal you set for yourself.Clear you're mind and stay focus on the task know you're priority
If you can try to delegate task or try to lower the time you spend on the task.
You still have a life other then you're goal just prioritize what you should be doing.

5.Not having long or medium term goals to work toward on the horizon.

6.Hesitating to share your goals with others.

7.Trying to do too much too quickly.
It the best way to feel overwhelm
Make sure to review the quality of the work you do.

8.Start & Stop, Hit or Miss patterns.
Constancy help finish goal.

9.Not knowing what your priorities are.

It important to be honest with that is a priorites and what can wait.

10.Playing the Victim Mentality: "There's nothing I can do".
Logic say that if you do nothing nothing will happen.

11.Sitting back and fading after a taste of success.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
-Winston Churchill

Sorry for the super long post i hope you take note for future goal making.Sorry to point out that goal making isn't that simple.

Visit my sketchbook
Intention observation action!
Hey Flea, nice start here.

I think the secret to relying less on references lies in learning to construct from basic forms. Looking at your head drawing, I would advise you look up Loomis Head Construction. Then see if you can use the construction method when working from reference, next try it from memory without looking at the reference and then try to change a few bits here and there and invent a head from scratch.

Hope that helps.

Keep it going!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Very solid advice form darktiste and Artloader;

Follow those and you should improve a lot!