Shawnté's Sketchbook
Hello, I am Shawnté!

I will be sharing sketches, studies, and any work in progress to keep track of my progress. Critique is more than welcome (seriously, do not hesitate to roast me into oblivion). Thank you in advance for dropping by my thread and if you choose to leave any feedback. It truly means a lot! Sun

To get the ball rolling, here is a study I did a couple of days ago.

Hey m8, welcome to the forum.

So, I'm by no means a big lighting guy but maybe I can help you a bit. I did this very quickly and I just woke up so if other things come to mind later I'll refine and post again.

Try to think more in terms of reflection and where the light is bouncing back into the sphere from, shadows will reflect less light than white floors
I did the reflection in the bottom left shadow too bright :/
[Image: Mc8o7Op.png]

[Image: 6l7jY06.png]

(03-11-2019, 10:24 PM)Gliger Wrote: Hey m8, welcome to the forum.

So, I'm by no means a big lighting guy but maybe I can help you a bit. I did this very quickly and I just woke up so if other things come to mind later I'll refine and post again.

Try to think more in terms of reflection and where the light is bouncing back into the sphere from, shadows will reflect less light than white floors

[Image: Mc8o7Op.png]

[Image: 6l7jY06.png]

Thank you so much for the welcome and your feedback!  Sun
I will take another crack at the sphere tomorrow along with some other shapes with this in mind.

Some of this stuff will be harder to try if you choose a blocky shape like a box so try things like cones and cillinders.
Also, SUPER important to be conscious of what's going on in the cast shadow, don't just treat it as a gradient from ligthest to darkest, depending on the material there'll be reflections from the object itself and its surroundings in it. So even if the material is rough and you get a diffuse reflection, you should still be thinking of it as a mirror, that reflects lighter and darker forms, which part of the cast shadow is reflecting the sky light/roof, which part is reflecting the bottom of the sphere etc.

[Image: mBQyxnJ.png]

Thank you again for your feedback!
Especially in regards to the cast shadow as I was having the most trouble with it. Though now I see why that was the case.  I was not putting in a lot of thought into the way light was affecting the sphere and the cast shadow, and the reflectivity of both. I will take another crack at the sphere, as well as a few cones and cylinders as you suggested tomorrow. I will do as many as it takes so it becomes a habit to start thinking about it more carefully. (:

EDIT: Grammar