Poll: Who drew the best character?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
RottenPocket
22.22%
2 22.22%
Skeffin
22.22%
2 22.22%
Pubic Enemy
55.56%
5 55.56%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Crimson CHOW #25 - Dystopian Detective - FINALS
Crimson Character of the Week #25
»Dystopian Detective«

The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

Deadline is March 22nd @ UTC: 23:59

-+|| FINALS THREAD ||+-
Here's my guy. Pretty generic design; I didn't have many ideas for this one. It was fun to draw, though.

Gods and creatures of greek mythos left this world to mankind, and began anew in another dimension. Once there, their powers waned and their extraordinary existence became quite ordinary. Millennia of mixing and melding mythos, some disturbances of the peace, horrible crimes, are committed by those with recessive supernatural tendencies. To find them, and put them down, one cop has all eyes on New Olympus. Commissioner Gorgon. 

Pretty weak final entry, rushed a finish that was all I had time for. Really should have kept the bomber jacket instead of scrapping it for the skimpy scrappy gettup. Anywho.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
great designs everyone - the glowy snake eyes and backstory are cool (can't belive you did a medusa just to make a commisioner gordon pun) and I love the final render of trenchcoat detective

here's mine - he's a genius who designs and builds his own electronic devices that help him out on the job. Would have liked to design more gadgets for mine such as his scouting robots, or his other weapons, as well as render him more but ran out of time. The setting: after a super volcano eruption devastates the earth, the rich live in purified and heated domes, while the poor make a living in the grimy, polluted underbelly. Masks are a necessity, but they can only stave off the respiratory illnesses for so long. Crime is rampant, and there is no police force to enact law. Instead, people must rely on a handful of detectives offering their services, but they all charge a woefully high price...

Attached Files Image(s)

Fantastic entries folks!! Loving the backstories.

"No man is more unhappy than he who never faces adversity. For he is not permitted to prove himself." - Seneca
RottenPocket: I never would've thought of "urban Medusa" but you made it work well, even if rushed. Interesting backstory too, and I loved "Commissioner Gorgon".

Skeffin: Cool backstory here too. You did a good job of giving him a distinctive but inconspicuous look.
My favorite is the Medusa because I really like monochrome art.

On the other hand, Pubic Enemy character fits the challenge theme more in my opinion. Something is bothering me about the front leg angle but the idea of an alien detective is interesting to me.

I like Skeffin’s tech schematics. There seems to be a difference style for the head & feet vs the body. Head and feet are crisp and the body is more blurry. Not sure why.
Pubic Enemy, fantastic colors and mood, great touch with the orange tinted glasses!

RottenPocket, the soft watercolor layering works really well and adds to the mysteriousness of the character.

Skeffin, the soft rendering of the jacket makes it hard to read, but apart from that, really well done.

Cool stories too!
The pun was acknowledged - I fulfilled my goal. Just wish I had been more decisive instead of doing things over threefold.

For Pubic's piece It's the execution that impresses me. The bounce lighting from the collar to the face is great, the saturation may be a bit high but it fits the 50's Alien movie poster colour scheme. The same lighting isn't on the back leg though, which makes it appear like a running stride rather than a step out onto the street.

Skeffin's Yeezy-cop for hire won me over though. It would be nice to see small red details like on the backpack across the rest of the outfit to break up the darkness a bit, but other than that It's a great concept.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Well deserved victory!

...although the # of votes is a little depressing. Could there be a way to draw more attention to the challenge on the front page (in the banner)?
Thanks to everyone for the comments and critiques, it is appreciated.

Zizka, I've wondered about that, but I don't know if that would be more effective than just posting about the poll in the chat (my current strategy). I think the vote number is low simply because we don't have many users on the forum, and less than 100% of them have strong enough feelings about the challenges to cast a vote.
You can post in the Daggers discord and the abandoned Hideout channels. People may not post but they do view it. It's just most of the hangouts were subjected to shitposting 24/7 and people put their efforts elsewhere - but if you throw an announcement up it'll bring attention back to this space.

While we're on the topic, did I start the COW early? Saw it was for the week of the 28th and nothing but crickets up in there.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Rotten, you didn't start it early. As far as I'm concerned the time period for it is 2 weeks + 4 days. I should have put up a disclaimer about that to make sure people didn't get the wrong idea. That said, it's possible that there's crickets in there because eldritch creatures are a difficult thing to get started on for most people. If there still aren't any other participants by next Sunday I might just end it early. I'm gonna try and find the time to make an entry though, I love spooky crawly stuff.

What happened is that I made the thread early because I done bungled up the schedule and didn't make it on the start of that week like I should have. But I didn't want to actually wait until the 28th to make it because that would leave everyone hanging. What I'm trying to say is, I only have so many neurons.

Also, thank you for reminding me of the Discord and Hideout channels. I completely forgot about them, so I'll get right on it.