Fjellmund's Sketchbook
Hello!

It's time to get to practice, i hope to upload here frequently. 
It's nice to se a more old school forum community still going, so i might as well join in!

My focus forward will be on learning anatomy and poses (and drawing in general), as well as actually making some finished pieces (which has been a sin of mine for quite some time, only sporadic doodling), also doing studies for the pieces i'm working on. 
I would appreciate critiques on everything i post, especially WIP's of more "complete" illustrations :)

Starting with a quick painting of a zombie dude, just to get things going.

Attached Files Image(s)

Trying to be more loose with the lighting and colors, probably won't render it further though, as i made it to messy and with too many soft edges. I might start over with a different composition and try a harder block in/more of a  lasso tool look.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think the rocks look really pretty. You could probably go back with the lasso and just add harder detail to key spots and it would probably work

Cool landscape! The sense of depth and how the towering mountain is sort of going away from us with the center repeating "pattern" is quite convincing, so well done. In the foreground I think you could push it somehow with making that top plane in perspective read a bit better. Is that horse rider closest to us, or are those pink/peach colored squiggles closer to the left closer to us? I'm just trying to understand the plane in perspective, I hope what I'm trying to communicate makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't!

Keep doing them, great use of color! Do moar moar moar!
(06-16-2022, 07:00 AM)JosephCow Wrote: I think the rocks look really pretty. You could probably go back with the lasso and just add harder detail to key spots and it would probably work

Thank you! I guess so, but i find that when i make a mess without a plan in the beginning it's often faster to just start over, as i tend to just keep noodling, hehe. It was not a long sletch timewise.

(06-16-2022, 08:25 AM)ItsAllHam Wrote: Cool landscape! The sense of depth and how the towering mountain is sort of going away from us with the center repeating "pattern" is quite convincing, so well done. In the foreground I think you could push it somehow with making that top plane in perspective read a bit better. Is that horse rider closest to us, or are those pink/peach colored squiggles closer to the left closer to us? I'm just trying to understand the plane in perspective, I hope what I'm trying to communicate makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't!

Keep doing them, great use of color! Do moar moar moar!

I know exactly what you mean. I think i'll actually try to make a new one, gonna do some studys first this time, with focus on edges and values, and spend a little time on some thumbs and construction first. 

I have also started a "character a day" challenge for 30 days, i'm currently on day 4. The rules are 30mins of study/warmup/reference gathering, and then at least 1 hour of drawing, or as long as i feel like beyond that. I think consistency is a thing i really need to work on, fells like it's helping already.
The character sketch must be my own design, but i can use references for things like a certain body part if i struggle or just for inspiration, but no direct copying, and the main design/pose must be from imagination, perhaps loosely based on the studies i did beforehand implementing what i have learned. The first couple of sketches came out really crappy and unfinished, lol, as i used lineart, 1 hour is not enough as i started making it to tight (to my abilities at least), so i'll try to be more loose. It will probably be better after a week or so. I'll try to post something later tonight.

Todays work on my character a day project!
Forgot to say in the last post that the char has to be a "full" sketch with hands and feet (or whatever they might have instead) showing. 
Tried painting today as i wanted to try to make something that conveys the idea within the hour or so i planned to use, i think i did somewhat ok, but it looked like crap, so i ended up spending 3,5 hours instead, most of it just rendering, which isn't the point at all of this exercise.
It will probably need 3-4 hours more to complete it, might do so if i don't hate it when my eyes are rested tomorrow, hehe. Wanted  to make a simple pose as i spent to much time on it the previous days, i'll probably add some stuff like apparel when i finish it later as it's very boring right now, lighting needs some work too. 

Also posting the 30 min warmups/sketch/studies  i start with before making the daily character. 

I wanna finish some of the line sketches from the previous last days, might post em tomorrow.

Attached Files Image(s)

nice art it's fun to see that there are people that is still active here. I might also do a character a day make it my application part of my study.

Only learned about dave and crimson daggers couple years back, Im dumb for not joining this forum. It is so inspiring for me cause I feel im part of something.

Don't be shy and message me if you have any questions.