3upmoon's sketchbook
Hi all, this will be the place where I mainly keep track of my progress and a log of my practice.

This will probably be filled with mostly studies and won't be to exciting.

Any feedback is always welcome and appreciated.
To start off, some quick gesture studies from today (30 - 90 secs each).

Attached Files Image(s)

some quick warmup sketches and a little study

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the forum, and great start! Lots of gesture drawings, great dedication. I think it's in good practice to do those regularly. Nice colors as well with your latest, lots of tones without being oversaturated, good stuff. Looking forward to seeing you progress further!

Welcome!
You're on the right path with your studies :)
Just one suggestion: If your gesture studies are from source images and you still have them, redo the studies in a longer time to check if you've captured it, and discover more about them.

Thank you both very much for your kind replies.

I was extremely busy over the Christmas period with work and some unforeseen events; my best friend ended up really sick and got admitted into hosptial on Christmas Eve. Sadly I didn't get to draw as much as I would like, but now that I have some a time to actually sit down, I'm right back on it.

I started (very slowly) reading Michael Hampton's book on Figure Drawing, and it's been really helpful so far, although I'm still close to the beginning.

I won't post everything I've managed to do over the Christmas break as it's mostly been gesture studies, but here is some more recent stuff.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think you might be paying too much attention to the outline/outer contour of the figure. It's good that you're observing all the bumps and curves, but it'll probably work better to start with the standard gesture curves C, S, and straight lines. Or start with construction from simple shapes like boxes and cylinders. You can add in the secondary forms later and keep them a bit more subtle. If I remember right, Hampton writes the same thing.

(12-28-2023, 06:24 PM)ThereIsNoJustice Wrote: I think you might be paying too much attention to the outline/outer contour of the figure. It's good that you're observing all the bumps and curves, but it'll probably work better to start with the standard gesture curves C, S, and straight lines. Or start with construction from simple shapes like boxes and cylinders. You can add in the secondary forms later and keep them a bit more subtle. If I remember right, Hampton writes the same thing.

Thanks, I can see what you mean and will definitely take this on board!
working on construction a little with some still lifes

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, I'm enjoy seeing your practices, as I also think you're on the path to improving right now. 

Something I think that would help is doing some portrait studies sketches with your figure drawings. The way you are drawing the eyes in your work seem very flat and symbol like. I also agree with ThereIsNoJustice. I would suggest to add some longer timed figure drawings (5 minutes or more) mainly to help with observational skills.

what i mean by symbol is that it looks like a portrayal of something (like a Mii character) rather than actually showing how it really is through form or irl

Something I find helpful for measuring is to see if your reference and your sketch has the same angle

hope this made sense and was helpful 3upmoon uOu
Loving your gestures! The batch with the figures in dresses you had especially is great.

I second Yan's take on measuring the angles. I also tend to think of measuring the junctions around the image to help with accuracy. Not saying you need to break out the ruler, just observe when object A overlaps object B and if it's in proportion with the source image, and so on.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida