Crimson CHOW #54 -The Precarious Rider

This week's theme and brief by previous winner, CBinnsIllustration
Crimson Character of the week #54

This weeks theme features a character mount combo to get creative with
The Precarious Rider

Create a combo of rider and mount that do everything but play it safe so you better not either with your design. The precarious rider plays the hands of fate each and every time they climb aboard. Will this be their last mission aboard their controversial mount and will today the day the luck finally runs out? They are a last of their kind and for good reason… no being in their right mind would strive for this station. Push the boundaries and think outside the box. Perhaps an armored squirrel scouring the post-apocalyptic wasteland aboard a giant two- tailed scorpion, or a kamizake rust-rocket pilot. The only must-have is the feeling of impending doom  at any moment by the riders very own mount. Good luck
The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!
  • Guidelines:
    • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work. (See next rule for exception)
    • 3D is permitted and renders MAY be used as whole or in part of a painting, as long as YOU created the work. Pre-made and/or purchased, online, assets are forbidden.
    • AI may be used in the ideation process, but the final image must be 100% hand-drawn.
    • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
    • Studies are recommended, but not required.
    • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
    • Environment backgrounds are optional.
    • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.

Rules:
    • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
    • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
    • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
    • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
    • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
    • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
    • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

-+|| WIP THREAD ||
Deadline is Saturday, August 3rd @ UTC: 23:59

Getting the ball rolling here with some sketches. There is a few in here I’m feeling but for this I’m thinking of taking on the Pirate Torpedo Jockey. He feels like a fun one to explore this time round and certainly fits the brief as this would certainly be a precarious ride as he not only steers the rusty  ballistic warhead but defends it from attackers.

CBinnsIllustration: Great topic and congrats again on the win. This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun! Thanks for getting the prompt up so fast. Awesome thumbs too, I really like the dinosaur one a lot towards the middle bottom. Your Torpedo Pirate concept is great as well and I know you are going for that one and it's gonna come out great. I feel like we switched roles here from last round where you're the one doing all the thumbnails and now I'm just going for it, lol. All good, cause I might def do more than one if I have the time. 

So I would imagine the hardest thing to ride would be a jellyfish, so I went with a flying jellyfish for now. Not sure where it's going otherwise but just feeling it out and going with the flow. Here's my rough sketch for now.....

.....and here's my color and value block in with some birds added....

....and here's my final for this one......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My second concept might end up being better than my first......here's the rough idea....

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Sun "Everything has been done, but not by you" Sun
Love the new concept Lege! It’s great to see you exploring the brief and getting a few ideas out. I’m really liking the colors in that jelly fish! But that shark scuba rider is a perfect match for the topic for sure. 

I did some painting on my torpedo jockey this weekend. 

CBinnsIllustration: Thank you so much and glad you like some of these. I might try to get another in where possible.

Your piece looks awesome man, you really have a great knack of doing very clean illustration work. I love the pirates mechanical leg, and really great addition of depth with breaking the picture frame.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Hey guys! Final thread is now up. Sorry for not creating a brief that sparked more participation and getting the juices going, that's on me.  But there is still some time left!

Cheers @Lege1 i do really like pushing these pieces to a more clean finish it can be a blessing and a curse and you can get stuck putting lipstick on a pig when something really isnt working. I tend to internally challenge myself if something isnt working, for what ever reason, that i can salvage ad-hoc as i render. Sometimes it works and sometimes it really doesnt. But im working on trying to resolve these issue earlier on in the piece and rely less on putting out fires late my creation process. But that's why i also really love these CHOW's! There is no real rules and no judges picking the pieces apart for rule breaking or clients asking for ill-guided changes, its just a fun brief where we get to explore and test ourselves and just let your imagination run wild and create something cool and fun, if it becomes a portfolio piece then that's a nice bonus :). Kudos to you for clearly following suit and just having fun with it...i love it!

CBinnsIllustration: Absolutely bro and I agree with everything you said above there except the brief part; I thought this was a really fun and engaging brief and I really enjoyed trying to figure out the poses of the riders over all ideas and all that per usual on a CHOW. Your piece came out really great and I know it's gonna look awesome in the finals. I proceed to do exactly like how you mention in just letting go and having fun with it, exploring and learning. Keep up the great work though man, you are great at what you do.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
Cool stuff as usual guys!

I was busy with just life and work at the moment so I wasnt able to participate
on the last challenges.

The briefing on this is fine as always, I skipped on it because I had a hard time
figuring out how to properly understand and apply it which comes from my poor English skills haha
So ye, Im looking forward to see who wins and what comes up next.
TrashPanda: Cheers to that man! Life happens that's for sure. We all get it in where we can. Hope to see you around on the next round. Also, sometimes just doing some loose sketches can really help get some ideas and possible solutions flowing.

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001