is anyone a parent?
I recently became a dad and I was wondering how many of you are parents?
If you are, how do you find the time to hone your skills, and is it even possible to pursue a career in Concept Art when you are a parent and have a full-time job?
Congratulations on becoming a father!! I'm not a parent but maybe in a few years. As for it being possible or not, I really believe that anything is possible, the only thing that can stop you is what you believe is or isn't possible! And then lots of hard work! You could grab a sketch book to take with you to work and fill it with studies during your lunch break, eat and draw. Draw in any breaks or free time you get etc.

Thanks for the positive words!
im still always drawing, in fact I sketched in the delivery room.
but i'll definately keep pushing forward
(06-17-2012, 04:59 AM)zae1X Wrote: Thanks for the positive words!
im still always drawing, in fact I sketched in the delivery room.
but i'll definately keep pushing forward

Sketching in the delivery room!? That's legendary! I'd like to see that sketch. Yes keep working at it pushing yourself and good things will come.

(06-15-2012, 02:35 AM)zae1X Wrote: I recently became a dad and I was wondering how many of you are parents?
If you are, how do you find the time to hone your skills, and is it even possible to pursue a career in Concept Art when you are a parent and have a full-time job?
Congrats on becoming a father!

The only thing that has worked for me is to just kind of go with the flow when it comes to your kid to avoid frustration. My 3 y/o is a force of nature, and if she won't let me work, there's no use fighting it. You can either find time later, or find a way for them to feel involved with what you're doing. She watercolors dora coloring book pages while I work, and all of a sudden, it's painting with daddy.

I was just getting ready to post a similar question when I saw this. I'm 28 in a few days. I got married while still in college. About midway through 2009, my graduation year at SCAD, my wife found out she was pregnant with our first. Not ideal, with no job prospects on the horizon and crap art skills, but still a blessing. Fast forward to 2012, and we've had a second child, I've had exactly zero paying art jobs, and in fact, I'm working nights about 50 hours/week in a car factory. The pay is actually great (comparatively), but the job is a completely unsatisfying, soul-sucking, crapfest. I listen to Crimson Daggers and Feng Zhu youtube videos during my commute. I try to stay away from time-sinks like video games, but reading and movies are good for your imagination. I sketch on breaks, and yes, in the delivery room both times, and I paint whenever I get home for an hour or two. It's just not enough time, and my skills have only improved marginally with all the distractions. Sometimes I definitely feel like my concept art career is screwed before it began, but I'm just trying to keep on chugging.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...o8siqfciHo

I believe it's possible, yes. Do a little bit everyday. You may not see any progress or growth, but you will be building a foundation. A little everyday will go a long way; every step counts and has an impact. That is one of my favorite inspirational videos, by the way.

I'm a full-time working father of a 14 month old little girl and have been married for 5 years with a, now, stay at home wife. It's difficult, but it's possible. It will be much harder, I will not kid you about that.
First post here and its about being a dad, funny that. Well im a 22 year old solo dad to a 1 year old little girl. It can be hell can't it? I love what I do, I love being a father but it is rough, I personally draw during naps and once she goes down for the night, usually working till about 3 in the morning. I watch videos about art and design during the day when I can. I sketch when she lets me. I use her as a drive to be better frankly, I have to be the best I can be at everything, for her, otherwise... I don't really want to think of the alternative.
Yeah i hear you brother...

Im 33 and i have 2,5 year old hurricane of activity kid and attention seeker too :)

I have an advantage of more or less stable scientific work and art is more of a hobby though.

At the beginning it was rough, but things settled and now i enjoy two of us painting on my wacom. i just change colors and he doodles. Sometimes he asks for me to draw something (animals and cars mostly) fast so it is good practice.

Also i have opportunity to do some art for the job, and i have time on the job to pursue some art as i tend to have gaps in workflow. Barring that, i use time when he sleeps...
I'm a parent of a very active 3 year old. It's really tough to "find" time to work and study, but you have to MAKE time. I think it presents a very specific challenge to freelancers and artist, but it's not impossible.

When she was younger, it was easy to plop her into a bouncy seat with a toy and work for 5-10 minutes at a time. Or draw "over" her when she fell asleep in my lap while feeding.

Now that she's a little older, she can play on her own for a while, in the same room as me while I study/work. It's harder to concentrate, but you do what you have to to get it done. Later hours, less sleep, but you're a parent, you're awake already LOL!

You definitely have to look for creative solutions to unique situations when trying to work with kids around. Have a specific play area in the room your computer resides and learn which activities and toys will entertain him/her for longer. If your partner is supportive in your pursuit of a freelance/fulltime artist career, work out a "schedule" where you have a couple of hours every other night or so to buckle down and study/work while she takes care of the kid, and make sure you do the same for her in return. She'll need breaks and she'll need time to herself. That's very, very important, plus it gives you valuable time WITH your kid.

Have a sketchbook within a few feet of you at all times. Do 1-2 minute gesture studies of your kid and the toys and everything. It may not seem related to your desired genre, but you'd be amazed how well it helps you to grow as an artist when you have a "moving target" to sketch. LOL!

Hm, what else...I can't think of anything right now, but feel free to ask specific questions and stuff. :)

I'm also a father of an almost 2 year old. I work at night so I play with him in the morning get home around midnight and try and draw for a few. I have also started get up around 7:30am to do some sketching in the morning before he wakes up. That's really the hardest part for me. I hate mornings but it appears like that is the best time for me to do some drawing.
Sadly I did not sketch in the OR but it would have been cool. I brought it, just did not get around to using it. Like everyone else is saying keep looking for time to draw. I had not thought about listening to art video's during free time during the day, prob on the way to work, thanks Vandall. Will have to try that.
I also try to stay away from my dear video game systems. Wow they really suck up the time but every once in awhile I use it to relax.
Additionally I will also give a shot at drawing my "moving target". Sounds like a sweet idea. Haven't had a live model to draw from in quite some time. Thanks for the idea Awynt.

Social: in order of updating frequency. Artwork
Instagram Facebook
I am father of a little angel, she will be two year old in this April. She is my life and when i can home from job than after see or take her in my lap i forget about all my tiredness

I know what you mean Aklam, I get about 4 hours sleep max a night. But as soon as I get up in the morning to make her breakfast, im ready to go. Just think, when theyre old enough to understand what you did, what you've done. They'll be proud to know their parents ended up doing what they love for a living, and that makes me beyond happy.

As a father of four, ages 10, 8, 6, and 2, and having been married for over 11 years, I can speak a little bit from experience. I jumped into freelance art part time back in October of 2012, without really even knowing what I was doing as a freelancer. A few months ago, my wife and I decided to move to me freelancing 'full' time. It's not easy. I work a lot and I give my wife a LOT of credit for her support. Part of the reason I work as much as I do is because I am also in school, trying to finish 3 correspondence courses, completing a Masters Thesis, all the while watching my nephews four hours a week, being involved on Sundays and Wednesday nights with my church and squeezing in time with my wife and my kids.

Regardless of what others may say, your family takes priority over your work. Do not sacrifice your time with them for work. Sit down and schedule your week. FIND time. Sacrifice sleep. Sacrifice your Saturdays. Whatever you need to do. My suggestion is to do art with your kid... together. Yeah, they may 'mess' it up... but it's great practice to work loosely and complete an image regardless. I have some interesting art that I have done with my nephews this way.

Secondly, don't JUST study. Do study and then GET CRITIQUES. You need it. Swallow it up. Others, even some 'less skilled' artistically will be able to point out flaws that you have not seen. Every piece of work, get critiqued as you are improving. Then use that knowledge. That knowledge is what will make you better more quickly than an 'ability' to draw.

Also, do the challenges. Even if you "don't have the time." Do them. Get critiques along the process and USE THEM. Listen to and watch tutorials when you can't draw.

The decision to pursue art may mean moving to somewhere cheaper to live... or downsizing your car or driving less or eating less fast food. Get on a budget. I would suggest going through Dave Ramsey's money management. It's possible to do this... if you want it.