Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Joseph's shiny new sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
This is an illustration I have been working on on the side for the past couple days. It's a picture of a scene from The Time Machine by H.G. Wells that I just liked a lot. The main character travels to the year 8701 and lands in a garden with a strange statue of a sphinx, beneath which his time machine will eventually be hidden, and the Eloi, a beautiful yet frail race of men. I wanted to experiment with some new stuff so basically just opened an old file and tried to work from the unfinished comp.

I actually started with a sketch I did 2 years ago of a real park, which then had the statue added in the middle of it. I had tried the illustration before actually like 6 years ago probably and I just didn't like how it was turning out. I've done a lot of growth since then, and there's a lot more I would work on, but I'm happy with just the raw skill of making interesting shapes and nice drawing. I also used some ideas I really didn't have in my repertoire like combining various reference from real life to 3D modeling. I used a model I made in zbrush as reference for the sphinx statue, and the result is a lot stronger I think.

below is picture, close up of eloi, and the old attempt from ages ago.
[attachment=128867]
Dig your latest piece, great choice of colors!
Thanks, man!
Great to see such improvement with your latest, it's you best depiction of the concept yet! Love the color palette and the brushwork is as always. Well done!
@CG Thanks! glad you like it

forest sanctuary concept sketch
Great composition with the new sketch. The lighting looks on point and very lively, well done!
Found this tiny ceramic tea set in a closet and decided to make a little sketch with it. It's just kind of funny because usually you would expect a teapot to be a lot bigger, but this one isn't. Really makes you think
Beautiful work Joseph! Love that tiny tea pot!
It a little to good if you see what i mean.
(07-29-2023, 05:09 PM)darktiste Wrote: [ -> ]It a little to good if you see what i mean
 What do you mean lol?
Loving the color palette of your latest, very well done!
your paintings are excellent as always
Loving your works :) Brushstrokes are fun and interesting!
So I did the donut tutorial in blender lol. The result is kinda giving toy story but i still feel a sense of accomplishment in a way because I went from complete noob to getting familiar with the program.
(08-29-2023, 08:29 AM)JosephCow Wrote: [ -> ]So I did the donut tutorial in blender lol. The result is kinda giving toy story but i still feel a sense of accomplishment in a way because I went from complete noob to getting familiar with the program.

Hey i am proud of you we all start somewhere now i wonder what kind of thing you going to use blender for.Also if you got any blender related question or need tutorial suggestion let me know i been using blender for more then a years now. Started on Zbrush and touch a bit of maya.Try new thing as artist is really important.If i was you i would setup scene made of primitive and use those to create simple composition.

My first advice would be to Learn about the modifier mirror it very useful if you got complex object such as architecture it can save alot of time as and you won't be stuck doing ''cube like structure'' and will be able to move to more complex construction who know many you just like mirroring and that what you enjoy then in that case you could just set a few basic geometric form and test the proportion what i like about 3d is you can even go modular and reuse some of the thing you done on other project you can even buy some 3d asset if you really aren't into architecture but still want to include some and this way you have the right according to your purchase plan.
That doughnut looks tasty!
Thanks, and yeah I think it'll be really useful for lots of things. architecture, setting up scenes with lighting. I had plans to combine it with a program that makes landforms so I could model interesting environments. I kinda just think it's cool though.

I definitely need to do more models, figure out mirror mod and manipulating the form the way I want is definitely a big one. I don't really need to spend a ton of time doing realistic rendering since I'll probably be painting over stuff, but it's fun to mess with different materials. I'll probably do some more tutorials to get more mileage with it for right now.

oh yeah the grease pencil thing is really cool, i hope i get to that.
(08-30-2023, 01:00 AM)JosephCow Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, and yeah I think it'll be really useful for lots of things. architecture, setting up scenes with lighting. I had plans to combine it with a program that makes landforms so I could model interesting environments. I kinda just think it's cool though.

I definitely need to do more models, figure out mirror mod and manipulating the form the way I want is definitely a big one. I don't really need to spend a ton of time doing realistic rendering since I'll probably be painting over stuff, but it's fun to mess with different materials. I'll probably do some more tutorials to get more mileage with it for right now.

oh yeah the grease pencil thing is really cool, i hope i get to that.

With grease pencil you can literally draw on your 3d surface it similar to a texture without the unwrapping but what is even more insane is drawing as a plane which i think might be more natural way of drawing in 3d instead of drawing and extracting from a cubic shape your drawing become the shape which you then fill with edge.
 but you need a specific camera projection if you want to see it from a specifc point in your scene this what you can stack .

Here some video suggestion 
Blender Grease Pencil Tutorial by Jama Jurabaev
Blender 2.8 Advanced Grease Pencil Tutorial by Jama Jurabaev
Turn your 2D drawing into a 3D model using Grease Pencil by Jama Jurabae

any of those result should do
Thanks! I will check them out!
(08-31-2023, 05:56 AM)JosephCow Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks! I will check them out!

I should have mention that they are paid video.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18