_spec's stinky sketchbook
ask yourself why is her shoulder like that? how does her hands being at her sides add to the story? change those hand poses up it shows more story; try to think realism in the poses... how would someone actually do this?

Also dont sweat posting nudity, this is an art forum

Attached Files Image(s)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
(05-10-2020, 11:24 PM)Fedodika Wrote: ask yourself why is her shoulder like that? how does her hands being at her sides add to the story? change those hand poses up it shows more story; try to think realism in the poses... how would someone actually do this?

Also dont sweat posting nudity, this is an art forum
Thank you! Hmm I suppose I never really thought about exactly what action she'd be doing. Another clear example of me not resolving the sketch enough and jumping into paint!
Anyways, I'll remember this in my next attempt: giving the gesture a clear function

mmmmmmmmmmmmm tonight imma make some mac n cheese

Chilling and sketching tonight y'know

(04-19-2020, 03:28 AM)_spec Wrote: Looks great. What app did you use to make these?
(05-18-2020, 05:12 PM)Lugo Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 03:28 AM)_spec Wrote: Looks great. What app did you use to make these?
Thanks Lugo! Photoshop for mostly everything

Today's class. Feeling a bit stiff w these ones. What helped was realizing to zoom in a bit and allow my arm to do more of the work instead all wrist.
Might pick up the charcoal and newsprint again just for that reason!

I'll call her uuuuuuh Holly Hiker

Wow, love the colors on this one! looks so nice! There's something about your style that's really appealing. Wouldn't that warm light from the right be canceling out the shadow from the visor where they overlap though?

(05-22-2020, 09:29 AM)JosephCow Wrote: Wow, love the colors on this one! looks so nice! There's something about your style that's really appealing. Wouldn't that warm light from the right be canceling out the shadow from the visor where they overlap though?

Shoot, you're right! Thanks so much. I'll tweak the final render to address that part haha I knew something around there looked kinda funky.

Tonight's gesture class. Really trying to internalize Mattesi's method. Starting with the torso+pelvis and "skating" my way from there were my focuses for tonight. Repetition is key!
Gonna tackle some more technical, non-timed ones now. Let's see if my hyper-deteriorating brain can memorize some muscles hahahahahahahahahahahaahhaha

Random stuuuuff. Tried to re-imagine one of Lovecraft's deep ones too :/ Might try and tackle it again but think of shape design more

loving the new stuff, ur shape language + ur style is really developing nicely.

In terms of gesture, those are also coming out well. Specifically, I really like the top left of that page, you seem to be the loosest there. One thing that I feel has helped me and could help you is when doing those gesture drawings, don't worry about accuracy and focus on pushing the pose to the point where you basically break it. really get to "character" of the pose and once you've gone too far you'll know how to reign it back in. Also I feel like you might be ignoring feet a little bit which have tons of character to them and also act as an anchor for the weight and balance of a pose.

Great work man keep it up
(05-27-2020, 04:28 AM)sgavrilles Wrote: loving the new stuff, ur shape language + ur style is really developing nicely.

In terms of gesture, those are also coming out well. Specifically, I really like the top left of that page, you seem to be the loosest there. One thing that I feel has helped me and could help you is when doing those gesture drawings, don't worry about accuracy and focus on pushing the pose to the point where you basically break it. really get to "character" of the pose and once you've gone too far you'll know how to reign it back in. Also I feel like you might be ignoring feet a little bit which have tons of character to them and also act as an anchor for the weight and balance of a pose.

Great work man keep it up

Thanks homie.
That's actually a great idea. I remember in one of Sycra's older vids, he talks about just that- pushing a pose to it's limit to get the most character and expression then dialing it back a bit. Gonna try to focus on that (plus feet) on tonight's class. Sometimes I still find myself getting caught up with accuracy and measurments haha. Appreciate it!

Really enjoy your shape design, I think I can see your inspirations (sadly can't spell who I am thinking of). I love the gestures and if you don't mind me sharing that helped me in the gesture department (since everyone is doing it) I'd say remember the basic anatomy but don't follow it, prioritize rhythm before anything else Mattesi does this well, pay attention to the way he distorts human anatomy in his 1 min poses even copy them to get the feel of it. I for one really like how he emphasize the force with proportion.
(05-29-2020, 11:30 AM)Mylqin Wrote: Really enjoy your shape design, I think I can see your inspirations (sadly can't spell who I am thinking of).  I love the gestures and if you don't mind me sharing that helped me in the gesture department (since everyone is doing it)  I'd say remember the basic anatomy but don't follow it, prioritize rhythm before anything else Mattesi does this well, pay attention to the way he distorts human anatomy in his 1 min poses even copy them to get the feel of it. I for one really like how he emphasize the force with proportion.
Thank you Mylqin! Sean was just telling about that. Been studying Mattesi quite a bit lately myself and trying to apply it in my own works. It's really changing the way I look at gesture drawing but soo rewarding and fun.

Speaking of that, I focused on really pushing the pose in tonight's studies...or at least tried haha. Might take some time to get used to. I notice in especially the shorter ones, I started to really get into his "skating" method while trying to exaggerate the pose energy. Hmmmm I think the longer ones are lacking that a bit still

For class. Studio component to my final paper. Nice refresher on basic geometry and perspective kinda. Pose is a bit stiff tho xD

Ah almost forgot this dude. Just having some fun w shapes and loosely referencing some hl2 combine characters. Might develop him more, who knows hehahehohuhe

Sorry about that, I was a bit distracted while making that post. your 30 sec gestures looks great love the flow!
(05-30-2020, 08:26 AM)Mylqin Wrote: Sorry about that, I was a bit distracted while making that post. your 30 sec gestures looks great love the flow!
No sweat brotha! I really do appreciate and need all the pointers I can get. Thank you again!

-

Trying hard just to let go and have fun here. Also working on thinking more of my character's pose and what their action is, rather than too much random spaghetti limbs

This is what inside ur head looks like!! Yes YOURS! I saw it! Dont ask h ow

Painted the funky skeleton dude from the last sketch page

I think most of his parts are too similar in size like his knife blade is almost the same size as his head, and almost cuts on the same horizontal line of the canvas as his head. Id suggest making his blade much longer to contrast the shapes overall.

Also his pose is silly, but doesnt feel too involved. I think it kinda works for the cartoon style, but ultimately he could be way more engaged in what hes doing. Its like hes doing 4 things at once? hes kicking his legs out, hes throwing a green ball, hes screaming, and hes got a sword. Pick one thing and make the image about that action. Where's Waldo is a book where theres just too much to look at, it doesnt feel powerful gesture wise.

https://i.redd.it/f0hdwidwpmi31.jpg

See how his whole body is engaged in the action, always think of that when making a dynamic pose!

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]