chubbycat's sketchbook!
Ayye I've been working on a fair bit lately but haven't been able to post (internets been fickle for over a solid week) so here's a dump of recent things. Personality and expressions have been a lot of my focus lately - I've always hated the way I draw faces. Trying to make things more interesting and get away from the :l and >:( expressions I default to haha. 
Just trying to have fun with it, ya know

[Image: 64de5e95cbf4d80521d03c999d3a7ddb44272ebd.jpg]

[Image: 542307ccd59ce568c87321ecad4a916284b31667.jpg]

[Image: 511c3d855ac6f9b54c453b6c56dd3edf54e5bf0b.jpg]

Colour thumbs for the above. Going full saturation. 3s out but could vibe with any of the others 
[Image: 98c23c8b1b2c2d107a1c3174d67cc29847dc2ceb.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

And though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea
Nice update chubby_cat! Like I told you on Discord, I really dig the skateboarding piece and it's variations!

I think you have a lot of potential in pushing some of your expressions and gestures. Maybe you could check out "Gesture Drawing for Animation" by Walt Stanchfield and the class "Drawing Clear Expressions with Aaron Blaise" if you get the chance?

Keep up the good work!

@Zorrentos Thanks!!! I'll definitely check those resources out - thanks for suggesting them! It seems Aaron Blaise is having a massive sale on his classes/videos, so I'll for sure pick his Drawing Clear Expressions up

Sketchbook // Insta

Revised the clouds on this piece (the previous version was just way too cluttered and driving me mad)

Feeling a lot better about it now

[Image: 9be214cf1f1be25b6d5dae4351698fe5298694b1.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

More progress on this piece. Currently feeling like something isn't quite right with it but not sure on what. I'm trying to push this piece as much as possible because I'm thinking it'd make a pretty neat print? 

I'm in the process of setting up an Inprnt to turn a few pieces into prints. Also been thinking about turning a few of the character drawings into stickers (so only the characters, sans the backgrounds). Not sure anybody would buy them LOL but I'll have at it and see what happens. 

[Image: c9f5519ecf77fed5ca45766042c88f58c7c642a7.jpg]

Other versions

[Image: fadea2bb315647f478f05db34ccc1db13eff6a8f.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

At first glance looks like the top character is blending in too much with the background, turn your image to grayscale to check how it reads at a distance.

@Hobitt Thanks for the feedback, Hobitt! You're right - I've been pushing and pulling at that part for a while now, but I need to do something more drastic to fix the issue. I'll go back and revise the values

Sketchbook // Insta

Love the style of your latest, very colorful and dynamic. The rim light on the figures was a great addition, really helps the figures pop and adds to the style! Great work.

(03-25-2021, 10:44 AM)chubby_cat Wrote: Colour thumbs for the above. Going full saturation. 3s out but could vibe with any of the others 
[Image: 98c23c8b1b2c2d107a1c3174d67cc29847dc2ceb.jpg]
I like 4. I feel that the green background creates a nice contest since there are so many red/pink tones in the figures. It really grabs my eyes and makes it move back and forth between the top and bottom figure.