MF's SB.
hey man, you've got a sweet start to a sketchbook here, ive dropped by a few times coz i recognise your stuff, i really love your character designs and your linework.

This latest piece is coming along nicely too, i love how your handling the colours and those values. Ive kinda grown to hate giving people crits unless people ask for them, especially during wip stages at risk of sounding like a pretentious twat, but seeing as you asked for an opinion on the hands i feel safe giving my thoughts lol.
I think you made the right choice with the staff, though i agree with Eduardo. I recon that although the staff is a nice addition you should decorate it in a way that it's an asset to her character, and pushes her design, instead of just being a prop to help the comp. Also on that note, for me at least it's abit tough at the moment as to the kind of character she is. I read villain and royalty but the spiky helm, tight armoured breast plate, look awesome but i want to know more. what does that helm represent? where does she live or rule? sorry if thats abit confusing, maybe i'm just being overly picky :/
Also on a final picky note, just watch out for those breasts and the shadow between where the skin meets armour coz it looks like her breasts are a pair buns resting on top and not pushed inside :p
I know it's still a wip so sorry for the essay, i honestly think this piece is awesome and has great potential, and your previous stuff is seriously inspiring. Thanks for sharing your work dude, keep it comin ;)

Warburton - Ha, the boobs have given me the most trouble for sure. Kinda ridiculous, really. I totally agree with adding more to the design for character/culture purposes. I'm not even set on the colors, I just took a few minutes and did a quick glaze at the end of the night because it had been about a week of working on it and I wanted some fucking color :). Not sure how long it takes you guys to work on something, but seeing as how I've never actually set out to call something "done", I'm kinda not giving a fuck and just wanting to push this as far as I can. I think that's the right way to go anyway. And don't be sorry for your crits, although I totally understand your sentiment towards WIPs not being the best to critique. I have the same reservations as well towards others' work. I always appreciate the comments though; it means you guys are taking the time out of your lives to help me out, which is awesome. Thanks!

Worked some more on it tonight. Still have no idea what I'm going to do with the staff and I want to add textures and patterns to the armor and skirt. Also need to do a background and figure out the floating orbs that will be in the left hand. Lots of work. Comments are welcomed.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think the new breastplate is a huge improvement!
Curious for the end result :)
Not necessarily the end result, but it's close. It's a matter of detailing like a mo' at this point, but I think I'll start something new pretty soon and continue to push this one while I can. Let me know what you all think.

Attached Files Image(s)

Lovely job on the fabric and materials in general and great rendering overall dude. The chiffony fabric curved end as it comes down to the bottom of the canvas seems a bit too stiff for the material. The only other thing that doesn't really read for me is the material of the helmet and the corresponding bits on the staff. Also not sure the candy cane staff is working for me though I'm guessing that's the bit you still need to work on? Perhaps a few small selective areas of saturation here and there would go snap crackle and pop! Great stuff

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Thanks for the comments, Monkey. I agree, the staff needs to be worked out quite a bit more.

Sketches for tonight.

Attached Files Image(s)

haha this last cheese monster dude is great

Great stuff going on here :D I really like your linework, there is a really nice flow to it.
Your creature designs are really nice as well!
I'd love to see you do some environments!

My Crimson Daggers sketchbook ^^
Boring night, so I just did a few quick thumbnails, focusing on composition and blocked in values. A few I like, a few are shit. See if you can pick them out!

Attached Files Image(s)

I really digg the second and 4th.Altho On the 4th there appears to be some sort of light source in the corner wich throws off the composition flow. Cool stuff.

Wow, you have improved so much! These are all so great. I love the different methods you use in your thumbnails too. I also like your ideation process for some of the elements in your painting. Keep up the good work sir!

Nice start on the thumbs. I'd say for enviros a wider more cinematic aspect is probably a bit better to show off more. A square format is hard to compose within. I like 2, 6 and 9. 2 is the most complete but your focal point is smack in the middle of the canvas so not sure what it is. I think 6 is my favourite because of the general dynamic shapes to the comp, the only thing is that foreground element is very large and creates a bit of a tangent with the horizon, so shrinking it down a bit would showcase the overlap more. 9 is nice for the fact that you use overlapping elements more and pop out areas with atmospheric perspective here and there as well as generally showing a more subtle control of value. Most of the others I find are lacking in strong composition and a good control of value to really showcase the depth or just don't really have a strong shape language to the forms.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Cool thumbnails! I really like the loosness in your sketches. The side lighting and the lack of detail in the shadow area on the Jabba the hut guy comes out pretty nice!

Better and better!!

[Image: tumblr_lry2ymLdj01r1m5qho1_500.gif]

Hey, thanks for the comments, guys. I'll hit you all up soon enough.

A couple of sketches tonight.

Attached Files Image(s)

more experimenting with layer styles and texture brushes. I spent a good hour or so coming up with a few different base layer styles (chisel, raise, reflection) and then texture brushes to go along with those styles for different effects. Took a simple sphere without texture and within a 10 minutes or so had the (rather gross) rendered skin ball next to it. It's so much like sculpting in a way, very interesting process.

Attached Files Image(s)

And I don't if I'll ever finish these or not, but in case I don't, I'll post the progress here. This was a few weeks ago, made some scribbles, copied and pasted them symmetrically in PS and then tried to find monster faces in the mess. Fun process.

Attached Files Image(s)

Love me some aliens. Working on rendering techniques using layer styles and different texture brushes, trying to be more efficient with my renderings. Also started this one directly in color, which I don't do as often, but I liked the approach as it got me to the end faster and my colors felt much richer. Let me know what you think.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey man nice work! A lot of improvement in a super short time.

I feel like you are jumping the gun on tightening up the rendering, the forms are looking a bit flat. You have to be careful that you don't soften your lighting too much.

Maybe try doing some heads and organic forms, but try and construct them using some perspective grids as aids?