Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Poverty Scotchbook! - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Poverty Scotchbook! (/thread-5008.html)

Poverty Scotchbook! - rmd - 04-18-2014

Hey guys! :) I used to be afraid of putting my work out there because I didn't like getting negative feedback. Then I got over being a biatch and decided to post ;>

I've been drawing everyday after work (as a graphic designer) for a few hours. Hopefully, I can get some help.

My problem - what exactly is *effective* and *smart* practice?

My self-perceived weaknesses are as follows:
1 Terrible at proportions. Human anatomy, etc. Human anatomy I'm a bit okay when there's a reference, but when there's none, God help me.
2 Line work is atrocious. I can copy decently, but I can't seem to make great lines when working on my own?
3 Color theory. I come from graphic design, but there's a big difference when lighting is involved.
4 IMAGINATION. There are days/months when I try to squeeze my brain like a towel, but nothing drips. So many of my works seem forced, if you catch my drift.

I'd love to attend specialized workshops but I'm too third worldly for that Lol

Trying to replicate what Noah Bradley was teaching. Doing studies of stuff, not just master studies.

Here is a recent big painting of mine. Not sure how I can improve further, but it took me many hours!

Strictly 30 minute studies for these two! Embarassing quality, but will do better Lol

Excuse me for the big images, I forgot how forums work :/

moar works.

From Ctrl+paint:

Doing studies while boss was out of work. Hope she goes out all the time <3

Bats and Soups:

Some random thumbs

You can see from my posts I don't really have direction in my studies. :/ halp? Lol

RE: Poverty Scotchbook! - rmd - 04-18-2014

Studies made from reading the following:

1 Andrew Loomis' Successful Drawing
2 Scott Robertson's How to Draw video from gnomon
3 Ernest Norling's Perspective Made Easy
4 Perspective for Comic Artists by David Chelsea

Whew. Lotta other videos over youtube just to get a grip on perspective.

Some thumbnails studies! Purple ones from random pictures on Pinterest. Others are from imagination!

Here are my anatomy studies! The worst ones are from imagination Lol

More anatomy, batman concept art, self poultry and still life made with Procreate from Ipad

RE: Poverty Scotchbook! - iamorim - 04-19-2014

First thanks for the comment :)

Nice haha! I really like the master studies you do. That's something that really help.
Any special tip for practicing perspective? '-'

RE: Poverty Scotchbook! - rmd - 04-19-2014

(04-19-2014, 08:04 AM)iamorim Wrote: First thanks for the comment :)

Nice haha! I really like the master studies you do. That's something that really help.
Any special tip for practicing perspective? '-'

Special tip? Not really special, but whenever I'm stuck on something in perspective, I take a small break then read other books.

Like sometimes I don't understand something that Scott Robertson talks about in his video, so I read another book, like Loomis' so I can understand it better.

My book recommendations from above:
1 Andrew Loomis' Successful Drawing
2 Scott Robertson's How to Draw video from gnomon
3 Ernest Norling's Perspective Made Easy
4 Perspective for Comic Artists by David Chelsea

Oh and lastly, if you have toy cars and maybe your sister has toy houses, you can practice learning perspective on those :>
cheers! Lol

RE: Poverty Scotchbook! - davidKatara - 04-19-2014

Amazing work, very inspiring because all those perspective studies look so awesome in your sketchbook! Anatomy looks great, landscapes as well! Keep it up!

RE: Poverty Scotchbook! - Psychotime - 04-19-2014

Digging all the sketchbook studies. You're really getting stuff done!

RE: Poverty Scotchbook! - Jaik - 04-20-2014

Man lovely stuff man. Real good work ethic you have going on.
Just a little perspective note on spheres, is to always keep in mind the curvature of the sphere and how it would wrap around the basic shape. A good example of this is in the green material sphere, the bottom line on the right is curved the wrong way. it should wrap down and around the sphere instead of fighting its form.

The figures are looking great though, really cool. If you want some more really good vids on figures check out proko's figure drawing channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClM2LuQ1q5WEc23462tQzBg

RE: Poverty Scotchbook! - rmd - 01-13-2015

Thanks guys! Thanks jaik! Ill keep those in mind. :) posting some new works. All works done in surface pro 3 and clip studio lately!

Concept art of a female ceo from the future

Study of a bust

Character designs in a moba i want to cook up

RE: Poverty Scotchbook! - Adam Lina - 01-14-2015

Very nice character designs. You have an interesting style. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

RE: Poverty Scotchbook! - eru - 04-10-2015

Love your work your are like my favorite sketchbook artist on here as in showing how you actually do things in your books, most people show off there really good looking work but you actually prove to us your thinking process. I just came to tell you just be careful with showing some your work you have ideas in there for people to copy lol. But you gave me an inspiration on coming back to this and show it like this as well, so Thank you.

RE: Poverty Scotchbook! - Moon-Spell - 04-10-2015

great studies dude keep postin' :D

RE: Poverty Scotchbook! - Tsirides - 04-10-2015

Nice studies on the perspective work, Although your paintings are not as crispy as I would imagined. Maybe you need to sharpen a bit the edges because it pops the painting often out when the edges are sharper. Keep up the good work. :)