Rainwater's Sketchbook
Those last few thumbnails look great! Are you planning on making a new illustration?

Hello and thanks :) I didn't really plan to do anything with those thumbnails. Meanwhile, I did some new artwork.
[Image: winterlandscape2k.jpg]
[Image: Sketchbook-76.jpg]

[Image: Sketchbook-117.jpg]
Those color are something of there own.Good job.

My Sketchbook

Perfection is unmeasurable therefor it impossible to reach it.
(05-23-2020, 06:20 AM)darktiste Wrote: Those color are something of there own.Good job.

Thanks darktiste :) I'm experimenting a lot but I still can't seem to find a style I'm happy with.
Here is a more traditional approach in painting and experimenting with mixerbrushes:

[Image: Sketchbook-52.jpg]

[Image: Sketchbook-53.jpg]
So the secret to painterly feel is as nice brush using the mixer brush and how you lay the stroke?

My Sketchbook

(05-24-2020, 04:30 AM)darktiste Wrote: So the secret to painterly feel is as nice brush using the mixer brush and how you lay the stroke?

I use a similar technique like Greg Rutkowski - I take a traditional painting from the old masters and use a mixer brush to absorb small parts of the image (just like the stamp tool). Then I paint with the absorbed colors. It feels more like real paint, not so sterile. but I use this technique sparsely, because painting with mixer brushes like this is very RAM-heavy. The rest are normal painting- and texture brushes.

Edit: Art basics and brush economy are more important than painting with special brushes. I try to learn the ala prima style from my fav artists like Richard Schmid. It sounds weird, but you need to learn to see more, than you think you are seeing. Just look at impressionist paintings with very colorful shadows, ground etc. Things we "think" look colorless. Also, learning about light and its infliuence on the surrounding is just as important.

I still need to work on my brush economy. I feel like my paintings look too clean and boring; like a muralist painting a wall with the same brush strokes.

Here are my newest studies:

[Image: 160320.jpg]

[Image: 060320.jpg]

[Image: 090420.jpg]
You can change the dedicated ram amount in the setting but it also depend on what software you use i think it might improve the performance but at a cost... just do a quick google research when i doubt.

My Sketchbook

(05-25-2020, 09:09 AM)darktiste Wrote: You can change the dedicated ram amount in the setting but it also depend on what software you use i think it might improve the performance but at a cost... just do a quick google research when i doubt.

The setting is already pretty high (40GB out of my 64GB RAM). But Photoshop is still stuttering - maybe the file size is just too big Toothless
That or the brush size.

My Sketchbook

Wow, it's been 4 years? Jeez, how time flies by.
Well, I've returned once again. A lot of crap has happened in my life... up and downs, therapy, lost 21kg... but I never gave up on drawing and painting.
It's nice to have an oldschool art forum in a sea full of shallow social media. I'm glad that Crimson Daggers still exists. I gave up on Instagram years ago, since their new priority doesn't seem to include artists and photographs, but influencers and weird content reels. Thanks Zuckerberg. I'm not even touching on the whole AI trashfire. It's the reason why I'm contemplating to return to traditional art.

Now if you excuse me - let me dump some old and new work from the past 4 years in here, lol.

This one is from 2021 - 2022

[Image: 116-skizzen.jpg]
[Image: 126-skizzen.jpg]
[Image: 130-skizzen.jpg]
[Image: 131-skizzen.jpg]
[Image: 133-skizzen.jpg]
[Image: 137-skizzen.jpg]
[Image: barrels-render-002.png]
[Image: illu-training-001.jpg]
[Image: keys-render-001.png]
[Image: schmid-study-001.jpg]
[Image: 145-skizzen.jpg]
[Image: 146-skizzen.jpg]
[Image: 148-skizzen.jpg]
[Image: 149-skizzen.jpg]
And this one is from 2023

[Image: 2023-02-24.jpg]
[Image: 2023-02-27.jpg]
[Image: 2023-03-25.jpg]
[Image: 2023-03-17.jpg]
[Image: 2023-08-07.jpg]
[Image: 2023-08-11.jpg]
[Image: 2023-09-03.jpg]
[Image: 2023-09-06.jpg]
[Image: 2023-09-30-3.jpg]
[Image: 2023-10-07.jpg]
[Image: 2023-11-07.jpg]
[Image: 2023-11-10.jpg]
[Image: 2023-11-12.jpg]
And this is from 2024:

[Image: 2024-03-06-portrait-painting.jpg]
[Image: 2024-03-22-Boxperspective.jpg]
[Image: 2024-03-22-Boxperspective-02.jpg]
[Image: 2024-05-04.jpg]
[Image: 2024-05-07.jpg]
[Image: 2024-06-26.jpg]
[Image: 2024-06-28.jpg]
[Image: 2024-06-29.jpg]
[Image: 2024-07-05-02.jpg]
[Image: 2024-07-13-02.jpg]
[Image: 2024-07-18.jpg]
[Image: 2024-07-23-03.jpg]
[Image: 2024-08-04.jpg]
[Image: 2024-08-06.jpg]
[Image: 2024-08-14.jpg]
I really enjoyed looking through your sketchbook. Some really nice studies here.

Can I ask what's going on with the first blue box perspective study? Are the two vanishing points on left and right just so that you can get equal divisions so the boxes are spaced equally?

Neat studies you've got here! Good job!

(08-18-2024, 01:42 AM)JosephCow Wrote: I really enjoyed looking through your sketchbook. Some really nice studies here.

Can I ask what's going on with the first blue box perspective study? Are the two vanishing points on left and right just so that you can get equal divisions so the boxes are spaced equally?

Thank you!
The two vanishing points on the left and right refer to the tiled floor under the boxes. Take a closer look, the boxes are rotated 45° on the floor :)

(08-18-2024, 01:53 AM)one_two Wrote: Neat studies you've got here! Good job!

Thanks Thumbs_up 

I should become more confident and create more personal work. But I'm kinda not sure what to draw...
Why not try exploring abstract shape and then turning those shape into subject matter. You will probably find out what kind of subject matter come to you more naturally.

Or maybe you could just do some fan art if you want something a bit less soul searching it depend how important it is for you to find out what you have to communicate.

I certainly feel like there the weight of ''academic work here'' thing feel a bit formal and leaking in creative term when it come to the expressive side of thing.The meme are nice but they feel more like study you could try to almost turn them into caricature where you try to push certain feature in the subject matter.

I think a great way to find interest in your work is to find out how to make thing interact with each other for example in certain of the piece i observe that there like one subject matter at the center inside a square in a few of the image here.

So in a sense i think your more interesting piece are naturally environment because you have composition that spice it up.

My Sketchbook

Oh okay I gotcha. A tiled floor didn't really occur to me. Hope you keep posting!

You've got skills, man !