my skertchbork
I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a sketchbook thread now  Tongue

Here's a lot of random stuff I made in the past few weeks.

extra thoughts:
  • Lots of self portraits here, which I usually don't do so often.
  • I wanna practice doodling more/drawing "faster", and in ink. If I really take my time and keep erasing/fixing/erasing/fixing, I can put together something I'm satisfied with. However, I'm not so good at churning out expressive faces/poses at a brisk pace or elegant quality. I think it'd also make my more ambitious pieces more lively and less time-consuming.
  • I've been going for an anime style, but I wanna practice more realism going forward. Sketching and painting from life more would be beneficial
  • On top of that, I wanna actually start studying anatomy, but it's difficult to tell where exactly I should begin. I'm afraid I'll start at the wrong spot lol

[Image: sketchpg1.jpg]

[Image: sketchpg2.jpg]

[Image: sketchpg3.jpg]

[Image: sketchpg4.jpg]

[Image: 45-sec.jpg]

[Image: 2-min.jpg]

[Image: shading-studies.png]

[Image: sphere-study.png]

[Image: face-torso-studies.png]

rena ryuugu from higurashi when they cry

[Image: 20240916-rena-again-again.jpg]

rika furude from higurashi when they cry

[Image: rika.png]

the next 3 i made for a fashion/costume party i attended. wanted to draw the full outfit before buying the pieces and it was pretty fun

[Image: i-pee-in-pools.png]

i went with the middle

[Image: sw-ag.png]

[Image: sketches.png]
Great studies here! I really dig the dynamic perspective of your latest post, you nailed it!

Nice start man! I see a lot of potential in your sketches. Keep the drawing vibe going!

(10-04-2024, 10:09 PM)cgmythology Wrote: Great studies here!  I really dig the dynamic perspective of your latest post, you nailed it!

(10-08-2024, 04:11 AM)one_two Wrote: Nice start man! I see a lot of potential in your sketches. Keep the drawing vibe going!

thank you guys :> means a lot to me

i've been drawing some faces and people, and getting accustomed to drawing in pen and not being afraid to draw full bodies in clothing with pen/in general. i need to draw more though... not enough studying/illustrations. gotta adjust my routine

i also saw "look back" in theatres last night and absolutely adored it. highly recommend it if it showing near you!

[Image: IMG-8073.jpg]

[Image: IMG-8082.jpg]

[Image: IMG-8081.jpg]

tried to do something like one shoulder shrugging to the side, but i had trouble constructing it. 

[Image: IMG-8077.jpg]

[Image: IMG-8072.jpg]

i did a self portrait earlier back to test painting more realistically and felt unsatisfied, but it gave me clarity on my weak points, mainly my limited range of values and lack of anatomy knowledge. also some facial features aren't sized correctly, so the likeness is off

[Image: 20241005-self-portrait-clip.png]

later, i made this for my mom for her birthday. i think it turned out better (the likeness is there), but there's parts of it that still feel weak that are harder to put my finger on? might have to do w values again. i know the hair was an issue for sure. overall i need to do more life/observational drawing. might start using my old acrylics soon.

[Image: mom.png]
Good idea using 3-D pose models to practice lighting (ref)! I know people recommend 3-D models, but I always get so confused and frustrated at their non-ease of use. It makes me ragequit. Do you just spend time learning the program or just use presets?

I googled 'Look back' and it gave me a theatre show, I guess you mean the anime? It looks super sweet, I don't know if it has a wide release in the UK, but I'll look out when it comes to streaming.

Despite the 'flaws' you've listed as areas you need to work on, you portrait is very consistent and I like the muted palette, the style choice seem very 'spring'. The only critique I'd add is the hair strokes seem 'choppy' if your hair is in layers, you could try and delineate the different shapes within your hair.

Regarding the portrait for your mum, good on your for still completing it, and not letting the spotting of weak elements hold you back! For your next portrait really take your time and focus on the structure of the head, remember cheeks, noses and eyes are 3-D and at a 3/4 face angle there would be projection and your piece lacks depth.
Try and slow down and analyse a study.

Hope that helps and welcome to the Crimson Dagger forum!
(10-15-2024, 04:59 AM)Dominicque Wrote: Do you just spend time learning the program or just use presets?

I stuck to presets for the program I was using, though I think I've gotten pretty familiar with how to pose the model myself.

Thanks for the pointers! I definitely lost the three dimensionality/depth of the face during the portrait, and the hair thing didn't even cross my mind.