Starting having work- Please help
Quote:1. Wow i didn´t knew that Polycount was still valid for posting portfolios, as CA, as cgsociety. I have a Deviantart account but i as neglecting it a little bit, maybe it´s time to take it more seriouslly.

2. Regarding Artstation i have mixed feelings, maybe you can help me on that one, when you apply to work at artstation, aren´t you risking being engulfed by the avalange of amazing artists already posting stuff there?

3. I´ve tried the route of sending my portfolio via email, straight to the companies, a dozen of contacts via gamedev, mainly from Europe. Maybe it´s time to add more companies of the site i didn´t knew; boardgamegeek.

4. I´ve heard by some artists, i don´t remember who exactly was (or were), maybe Jason Seiler, maybe a podcast from a fellow artist, that i should send my portfolio to a range of companies from 3 to 3 months, not to wait too long, not to try to piss off the AD´s. Do you think that´s wise?

I'll answer your questions above as best I can. I still haven't figured out a better way to use the quote functionality, than painstakingly copy pasting drudgery which takes too much time.

1.  I have had several job enquiries through polycount. Not a lot of conversions because there are mostly amateur 3D people and projects on there, but you never know. dA has provided me with the most money overall, the most fun gigs, and the most money / single commission ever! I am astounded to say it, but it's true. Do NOT discount it. Of course once you get into AAA level you won't need that boost, but I would say it is worth it to get a good profile up there. I spend almost no time on dA itself.

2. I also have mixed feelings about ArtStation because of the volume of skilled artists, and it is true that you might not be seen at all amongst all the competition, but the fact is, everyone is on there, including potential clients.  You should at least have a profile and gallery. It has one of the most up-to-date job listings for relevant positions I have seen currently, so you stay off it at your peril. If nobody can see you, nobody will know you are there.

3.  Looking for potential clients, is never ending. Don't think you can hit one list and that sorts it out.  It's half of the job of being a freelancer (literally...not figuratively) . You are a business, offering a service, you have to be as professional as any other business, or you will miss out.

4. The time you send updates to places is up to you. You have to balance out not spamming people with pointless updates and showing them genuinely new stuff that might fit their needs. I doubt it can come down to a formula.  I think you should send updates when you believe you have done work that shows a level up, and fits the company/client's needs even more. AD's probably won't get pissed off unless you are emailing them every week, they will just ignore your email or give it a quick glance. Just be brief and polite and professional, and to the point. Nothing says you respect their time, by getting to the point.

I think random spamming everywhere, can work because once it's out it's out, but be careful not to get into the habit of doing nothing but spamming every single study and every singel thing you do everywhere, especially on your own personal and social media accounts. It can get tiresome, for you and any followers.

You asked this of John, but I can say in my experience, my first year of fulltime freelance has been hell. Most of it has been because I wasn't adequately prepared and leaped before I looked properly (out of desperation), but let me tell you this...if you want to go freelance...DO YOUR RESEARCH. BE PREPARED. SAVE at least 6 months to a year of expenses to live off, so you don't stress yourself out and go grey and have a cardiac arrest, ruin your relationships and health, and become an alcoholic crack whore as a result.

Also ArtPact will be free for all soon. Can't remember the date, but it's this year. I paid for a year's subscription last year, and it was immensely beneficial for me...worth way more than the paltry 15 dollars or whatever it is for a year. Time to start judging your expenses in terms of a business investment sense too. Sometimes you have to spend to earn.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-20-2016, 01:28 AM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-20-2016, 06:14 AM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by Amit Dutta - 04-20-2016, 08:03 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by devinn - 04-20-2016, 07:53 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-20-2016, 09:34 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-21-2016, 06:39 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-26-2016, 07:07 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-27-2016, 07:59 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 05-05-2016, 03:15 AM