Ka-Pow!! A Comic Study Group
(12-29-2015, 07:52 AM)KJefferson Wrote: Yay!! Okay, so, I'm gonna share my (now defunct/but a newer version is in the works) webcomic, entitled "Strange Journey". I was really excited when I started... but my macbook died and took my workfiles/script with. I haven't abandoned the world I made with it for a long shot, but I definitely am going to start from scratch. Here's the link: http://tapastic.com/series/strange-journey

Some panels -

The way I opened it - one of friends felt that it didn't give a reader a sense of what the comic was about, it didn't feel like a real prologue ^^'. Looking back, I agree with her. I really had no idea what I was doing.

Hi there KJefferson, I realise that you're starting again but I thought I'd share a few thoughts in case they're of use to you.

From reading your Tapastic link - I get that your prologue consists of an all knowing narrator, asking the reader what they think about when they hear the words "Tell me a story" and then you present them with some different kinds of stories.  One thing to be aware of when you use caption text - if it has quotes around it then it is generally accepted as being text that is spoken by someone not on screen.  If it doesn't have quotes then it is text from an omniscient narrator.

Please checkout this link if you need more info:

http://www.comixtribe.com/2011/03/08/bn-...ue-part-1/

You then present the first couple of panels of a story.  One thing I noticed is that there is no text in these panels - be careful about starting a comic with no text since you are missing an opportunity to reveal information to the reader.  There is a note from you in the Tapastic comments section that says "And now it is morning in our fair desert kingdom ..." I suggest you put this into the actual comic panels rather than as a comment below.  If you ever wanted to transfer this to physical print - you would lose these comments since they are not actually part of your comic.

I like your panel layout and the size of your text as they look like they would work well for mobile devices as well as computer monitors.  According to the following Tapastic article, 6 out of 10 readers will be reading your Tapastic comic on a mobile device:

https://tapastic.com/episode/68726

Hope this all helps - and good luck with your re-write :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ka-Pow!! A Comic Study Group - by KJefferson - 12-29-2015, 07:52 AM
RE: Ka-Pow!! A Comic Study Group - by Artloader - 08-17-2016, 07:54 AM
RE: Ka-Pow!! A Comic Study Group - by karanveer41 - 01-06-2016, 01:09 AM
RE: Ka-Pow!! A Comic Study Group - by Artloader - 08-15-2016, 12:47 AM
RE: Ka-Pow!! A Comic Study Group - by Artloader - 11-19-2016, 08:58 AM
RE: Ka-Pow!! A Comic Study Group - by gabs-the-gabs - 04-13-2017, 10:57 AM
RE: Ka-Pow!! A Comic Study Group - by Artloader - 04-13-2017, 05:54 PM
RE: Ka-Pow!! A Comic Study Group - by Artloader - 04-28-2017, 09:23 PM