Meatslurps sketchbook - What I do to get better and have fun
(01-08-2020, 02:06 PM)bluehabit Wrote: Hey man welcome to the forums, like your username!
Also your sketches, renderings everything really well done  (especially creepy garfield).

Drawing from imagination is something especially that I am trying to improve at because I have tendency to just try and render everything really tightly and I am trying to sketch alot more.

Question when you do these applied observation to imagination studies like draw a object 18 times. Lets say you are doing hands will you draw like 1 hand, then after you finish it try and then try to use your memory to recreate it without looking at the source and repeat? Or do you do 1 drawing from an observed source, then just make up a hand in some imaginary pose different than what you most recently did?

Anyways looking forward to more!
Such a good confidence boost in the morning. I feel validated lol

I feel like I need to do a lot more tight stuff like you do(took a look into your SB. Some really good stuff in there, but I agree that sketching more would propel you forward a lot!). I think we all have the problem of getting out of our comfortable way of working. Rendering stuff is still so painful to me. Its a constant "I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS WOULD REALLY WORK. I DON'T HAVE The RIGHT TO PUT A COLOR/VALUE DOWN" in my head lol

How I study really differs quite a bit. I try to keep everything I mentioned in mind, but don't always have the mental energy/discipline to study in the most "optimal" way and I'm still always trying to find ways to adjust the process for me. I find that some things are much harder for me to draw and remember than others, so that also always affects it.
Going with your specific example, I just rolled with it and did a study session

[Image: Whqt7g9.jpg][Image: 6uZK0jX.jpg]As you can see I try to nail down that one pose, but try to think about the structure and 3d form, so I'm able to draw it from any angle. The goal is to basically be able to draw that one pose of a hand without even thinking about it. 
I though about doing it that way because even though I 

Like I mentioned earlier, the "drawing it 18 times" is kind of arbitrary. Daves dad just came up with that for some reason, which I though was funny, so I mentioned it heh. To me that always just means "draw the same thing until it's easy and then keep going for a bit". But I would experiment with that yourself if you want to try it. Some people get exhausted really quickly by doing the same thing over and over. I have pretty bad ADHD so I really had to train myself to not get frustrated by this method, which I'm not sure is necessary. Made me hate drawing for a while.

oh and the green squares indicate hands from imagination

Messages In This Thread
RE: Meatslurps sketchbook - What I do to get better and have fun - by Meatslurp - 01-09-2020, 01:34 AM