the struggle to get into art school/university
Hey Saraiza,

It looks like you're sketchbook is more tailored to illustration rather than graphic design, what would you enjoy the most?

I went to University in Plymouth, England. It was a great experience but you really need to keep yourself motivated to improve at your art and do the set projects (I was very lazy and it shows!).

I think the pros of Uni is that you're often in a studio environment with other illustrators/designers and usually that's a really positive and inspiring place to be. It's usually good to sit with people that have a similar hard working mindset though! I found that Uni also offered me great facilities for screen printing, lino cut, etching, letterpress etc, so if you're interested in any of those processes it's definitely worth checking out what each Uni has to offer.
The set projects can also help push you out of your comfort zone and develop your sense of design etc.

On the flip side, some of the tutors can be very stuck in their ways and find it hard to understand your approach/'style'. But that's not always the case however. Also, if you're not around people who really want to progress in their craft, that can sometimes drag you down. That can be easily remedied by just sticking to yours guns and continuing being part of the Daggers :)

In terms of a portfolio, (in my experience) the tutors like to see your finished work and developmental work, so sketchbooks that show your design process are always a win. Allow what you love to fill your portfolio but show how you got the finished pieces and how you think.

All the best with your choices, keep doing what you love!

Messages In This Thread
RE: the struggle to get into art school/university - by Kolbenito - 09-09-2012, 04:22 AM
RE: the struggle to get into art school/university - by StolenSky - 09-13-2012, 03:11 AM
RE: the struggle to get into art school/university - by johnelijah - 09-15-2012, 01:08 AM