Rate my skill level
You are making the "right" sounds now  Thumbs_up  and I like it. I applaud you for taking the critique even when it often comes from people in a very frustrated manner.  It is very hard to "break through" people's incorrectly perceived mindsets when you are trying to make a point and they simply fight you at every turn, and this can lead to a lot of frustration. I hope we are past the worst of that now 

I want to pick up on a few points.
Quote:I like to design but that shouldn't limit the time i spent on supporting that knowledge and go toward doing thing that even if repetitive in nature will expand my known how,my speed,my problem solving and other skill you don't necessarly realize this repetition build up.

Your fundamental abilities are like the foundational first layer blocks of a pyramid. How strong those foundations are determine the quality of and how stable your pyramid will be. The pyramid is any work you try and produce. The Elements and the Principles of design as shown above work hand in hand as the foundational blocks of the pyramid. The foundations, determine the quality of the final product. You have been mostly focused on practicing and applying design Principles but at some point de-prioritised practicing the foundational Elements as labelled above. What I am saying is not completely accurate, because you can pretty much learn some of both from every drawing one does, but in general this is what you have been doing.  So don't think of them as one supporting the other. These are all the foundational blocks you have to make a solid base.

Quote:For me this as you said is a problem of mindset that i don't think a teacher will pick up on until it actually maybe very late in the course.I don't have any guaranty that they will say anything different to something like you gotta do what you gotta do.Yes so what if it repetitive i get it we all have goal to achieve no matter how much we dislike the road leading to it.

1:  Don't discount the benefit of a very good teacher IRL or even online.  IRL is better as they will cut through your bullshit as you are "caught in the act" of making it. It is simply more efficient than waiting a day or a week or 3 months for feedback.  You are right, there are no guarantees. This is why you should not discount the potential benefits. As Kenny in the video said, the only "failure" is that of inaction due to fear.  Prior experience doesn't dictate future experience all the time, so remain open to the possibility and to trying new things.

2: I also didn't mean to go at it in a FZD style insane "git gud" 16 hours a day work ethic even if you fucking hate every second of it. A sustainable balance is infinitely better than going mental. All I am saying is to again be OPEN to the idea that just because you found something dull in the past, doesn't mean you can't enjoy it in the future.  Your perspective and attitude is so important here. But yes, you do have to recognise the tricks you may try to get out of doing work sometimes. That's for sure.

Quote:i was thinking about learning to do thumbnail and so that in this way i can get down alot of volume on the page rapidly in a short amount of time since they are small atleast this way i got something else to show then still life of compound shape with no soul behind them.

Without going into detail about what and how to study, there are two problematic statements here. 
1: you are already trying to shortcut things by thinking about doing volume and speed. Good study requires both long and short duration studies. They are useful in their own way. A good teacher or structured program will help you to determine when to go long form and when short. But you should also do both yourself and see what you can learn. Short studies tend to focus and practice one fundamental thing without the complexity of other things. Longer studies tend to be about how far you can push and the quality and nuance you can produce. Both incredibly beneficial.  AGAIN, balance is the key.

2: Still lifes are incredibly useful as a study mechanism and I think they can be incredibly full of value and "soul". Please just have a look at a Richard Schmid still life and tell me they are soulless.  Discount them at your peril. They contain elements of proportional accuracy, perspective, value grouping, form, material properties, colour and light interaction theory, composition, and the design principles come heavily into play when you arrange the objects in a pleasing way yourself. And best of all they are done from life so no photo lens gets in the way.  INCREDIBLY useful. Dave Rapoza did a year or so of still lifes only as his study if I remember him saying it from one of his streams. I highly recommend you do these as well. 

I would also say, don't discount figure study man. For similar but very different reasons to still lifes, they are an incredibly challenging subject that hones your skills like nothing else quite can. 

Anyway I am glad to hear the way you are talking now in general. Whatever and however you start working your fundies, post em in your sb and I'm sure there are a bunch of people here that will give you their thoughts and help. I don't really interact on this forum much unless you trigger me in some way  Insane, ecstatic  but I do occasionally pop in.

I want to wish you the best of luck Jimmy. YOU GOT THIS!

Messages In This Thread
Rate my skill level - by darktiste - 11-16-2020, 01:24 PM
RE: Rate my skill level - by bruhsuv - 11-17-2020, 07:39 AM
RE: Rate my skill level - by JosephCow - 11-17-2020, 10:45 AM
RE: Rate my skill level - by darktiste - 11-17-2020, 12:11 PM
RE: Rate my skill level - by xelfereht - 11-17-2020, 08:40 PM
RE: Rate my skill level - by darktiste - 11-18-2020, 02:36 AM
RE: Rate my skill level - by xelfereht - 11-18-2020, 05:11 AM
RE: Rate my skill level - by Who - 11-18-2020, 05:56 AM
RE: Rate my skill level - by darktiste - 11-18-2020, 06:13 AM
RE: Rate my skill level - by bruhsuv - 11-18-2020, 06:34 AM
RE: Rate my skill level - by darktiste - 11-18-2020, 09:29 AM