Crimson CHOW #46 - FANTASTICAL DESERT LANDS
Thanks again for your feedback Lege. I agree about working without reference; I always try to do my best without it unless I fail hard to figure something out. It's just more fun that way.

I'm not personally crazy about working with grayscale and then color. It's a fine technique, but my preference is to slap all the colors on from the beginning, since they contribute so much to the "feel" of a picture. Although this maybe leads to some overall over-saturation as you mentioned, since I like to go to the extreme corners of the color triangle, but it's always easier to dull things down later than it is to fix a lack of contrast or saturation.

The reason for the empty space is that I'm planning to put a moon and stars there, to make it look like a dry desert with a perfectly clear night sky. Not in a too distracting way, though.

Sand skull dude looks sweet. I notice there's often distortions in the backgrounds of your paintings that gives them a slightly expressionistic feel, E.G. the tilted pyramids and small palm trees here. I mean that in a good way because they sometimes make me feel like I'm having a fever dream when I look at them. Was that always a part of your personal style?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crimson CHOW #46 - FANTASTICAL DESERT LANDS - by Pubic Enemy - 07-26-2023, 07:58 AM