WIP digital painting help
Hey, it looks like you really took the last round of advice into account! The whole landscape is giving more depth now with a groundplane and layers.

In regards to the values. I think the colors look pretty decent, but there's still room to go darker I think. I do like how the white part in shadow has a lot of blue influence to it, and you have the underside of the rock a lot darker which makes sense since the sky light won't be touching that. But a lot of people starting out go with pretty pale shadows, and while you can do that, it probably will have a better effect if the shadows are darker, and all the colors in shadow go toward the same color and value. It unifies it and makes it feel more like light shining on something. The orange in my version for example is more muted, since I'm trying to get the same blue light on everything. But I might have made it more desaturated than it needs to be.

Another tip is to make sure the form matches the shading. Anywhere the values get darker, or go into shadow, like on the bottom of the rock, the outline should match it. That goes for any cuts and dents in the rock as well. If there's shading to indicate the form goes in or out, that should be apparent in the outline of the object as well. It makes it feel way more 3D. Otherwise it can sometimes feel like a pic cut from a magazine.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
WIP digital painting help - by Jinno321 - 09-17-2023, 05:28 AM
RE: WIP digital painting help - by JosephCow - 09-22-2023, 11:19 AM
RE: WIP digital painting help - by Jinno321 - 09-23-2023, 10:48 AM
RE: WIP digital painting help - by JosephCow - 09-23-2023, 11:58 AM