Nice to meet you!
I'm thirty something and I've been drawing since highschool. It's been a long time I'm stuck between being an amateur, giving up drawing, and being professional... I studied art and I have experience doing commission work, so it's not nothing, but at the same time, I lack confidence and I've never earned a living with art. I am not very consistent and I have a lot of weaknesses.
I want art to be more central to my life and I'd like to really become confident in my skills and experience.
Creating stories, making up characters and settings is something I take great joy in doing. It's the reason I started drawing. I want to finish at least one comic book, and then become better at it. I try to make manga art and to learn in that style, but I have a large style range (am very inconsistent) and I also look at realism to build up better fundamentals. Honestly, I want to be a professional manga or comic artist, but first I want to do some and develop my own stories and way of doing things before I confront myself with questions of level, competition and edition. 
I also want to review basics and become a better artist in order to teach art to people without feeling like a fraud. Learning and teaching actually go hand in hand I think, but the more I can practice the better I could teach.

I appreciate this place that gives me a chance to share motivation and inspiration with others. It's also a way to take a step back and write my goals and check my process, progress, etc. I hope it will help me become more consistent, to practice more, while not losing sight of what I want to create and the heart I want to put in my creations.
In the past, the experience of art school and a inhumane critical environment made me distanciate from my hopes, desire to create, and personality. I put a lot of effort into it, but I was unable to achieve things for myself and in the end, drawing was just not something I did with pleasure anymore. It felt like something I had imposed on myself, a huge mountain of difficulty with no reward, serving other people only. I stopped wanting to be a pro, but I didn't stop drawing.
Now I sometime feel that it's a tool that belong to me and I get closer to love what I do. I also realize how important it is to me, and I don't want to give up on that. I have already put so much time and effort in building my skills, and I faced a lot of hardship - it's a shame to not do anything with that.
The most important thing is that I focus on achieving my creative projects without getting distracted by too many other things- but I feel like training in a place like here can still help me with staying focused on improving certain areas, organize better, get motivated, and share the joy and hardships of drawing with people! I'm looking for feedback and happy to discuss anything art-related.
Thanks for reading me, have a nice day~

Messages In This Thread
Nice to meet you! - by Navaali - 07-08-2024, 07:37 AM
RE: Nice to meet you! - by JosephCow - 07-08-2024, 09:56 AM
RE: Nice to meet you! - by RottenPocket - 07-08-2024, 01:45 PM
RE: Nice to meet you! - by darktiste - 07-08-2024, 03:32 PM
RE: Nice to meet you! - by Navaali - 07-09-2024, 06:52 AM
RE: Nice to meet you! - by darktiste - 07-09-2024, 12:40 PM
RE: Nice to meet you! - by Navaali - 07-10-2024, 08:31 AM
RE: Nice to meet you! - by darktiste - 07-10-2024, 02:25 PM
RE: Nice to meet you! - by Lillen - 07-14-2024, 05:09 AM