Crimson CHOW#55_Solara Summertime Fairy
Managed to take part in this one! Simmered on the idea for a long while. The brief posed a difficult challenge for me composition wise due to the character design, lots of gold and yellow so I knew shape would be important. I wanted to lean into the fae aspect too to play with scale and I simply just love fairies. During my initial idea process I was left with two big Qs; Pin-up or narrative?  Low-key + Chiaroscuro or High-key?

I was tempted with Pin-up+Chiaroscuro, emphasising the female form in repose but I decided I wanted magic and a challenge so I decided to go against the brief a little and choose the most dynamic one of the bunch.

Scanning my sketch in I knew immediately my anatomy compounded with the perspective was off. So I used a bit of 3d to build a good reference to draw from.

More sketching to get an idea of composition and narrative and how to make Solara stand out. Decided she should be casting magic healing a creature. Sitting her on a flower seemed like a good idea to show some scale too. Healing a honey bee? Why not? Floating pollen and magic? Sure.

At this point from my sketch I knew I was going to have problems with the wings, drawing of the flowers and time required to calculate the shadows in the scene. Since I already had a 3d model of the figure pose and the camera set I decided it was time to brush up my blender skills!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crimson CHOW#55_Solara Summertime Fairy - by FallingWater - 08-23-2024, 09:47 PM