Crit/paintover - Ninja/samurai/Faceless one - warrior
Ok gonna be quick cuz I got to work on stuff so I may sound blunt, but I don't mean to!

Why did you pick this pose in particular? It's balanced and correct, but IMO it looks pretty dorky and not as graceful and dangerous of a pose as befits a ninjurai warrior.
The focal point, which for characters we tend to go straight to the face for, is just a black mask with no form or detail at all. Even if he does have something covering his face, it should have some level of interest in it.

The render level is sharp, but overall your colours are very desaturated and there are no highlights to make the image pop anywhere. You haven't really accentuated any direct light source so things are quite flat and matte and because of this your materials don't read as well as they could. They aren't bad, but could be better. You would need to accentuate the effect the light source has on his form and cast shadows and add highlights and saturation to the areas that are hit by the light. Also refine his cast shadow more to be accurate to his shape to ground him on the floor a bit better. The perspective of the shadow implies a higher viewpoint than the perspective he is drawn in.

The cape is throwing off the silhouette of the character and the drapery is very simplisitic and not moving very realistically. In fact why is it and the headband moving at all, considering his pose looks very static and unmoving? I'd be tempted to lose it completely or do studies on how it should fold and separate the shadow areas from the shadow areas of his figure a little.
In terms of composition he isn't in a logical place on the canvas and his ninja skewer is almost touching the edge, which is a general no-no. Just centre him with enough space around including below his feet to present this, as this seems to be just a straight character concept. Also as it is a concept, you don't really need to worry about background as well...keep it simple. just a netural gradient indicating some background and 3D space should be enough.

Honestly though, the pose does ruin it for me, so I'd suggest making something a bit more fitting...or if you've already spent too long rendering this then moving on to something new and nailing the pose first before getting to this stage.
Again don't mean to be blunt, just trying to be quick. Hope that helps!

Oh also, don't be concerned about style...that is something you develop after years of just working and improving. I'd push it to the back of your mind and focus on your skills :D

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crit/paintover - Ninja/samurai/Faceless one - warrior - by Amit Dutta - 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM