Creature Help
I did a paintover to maybe give you an idea of how you could take it further.
I did change the rearmost leg to not be so close to the foreleg. It was a tangent and broke the silhouette a bit. I also fixed the perspective of the rear paw closest to us. It didn't really match the rest of the animal. I then adjusted the cast shadow and ground plane to match.

After that it was basically just adding texture, patterning and I really tried to accentuate the different materials and show what was hair/fur, skin, bone etc. The way I paint organic texture on this kinda thing is pretty simple. I pick the base value, then slightly lighten it or slightly darken it depending on if I want to paint raised or lowered forms. Then I essentially just scribble shapes to suggest lumps, bumps etc. Because the value shift is very slight it is pretty much as if you are raising or lowering the base form ever so slightly and you can get a lot of implied detail pretty quick just by semi-random scribbling of shapes. If I want a different kind of pattern I just change the shapes I scribble. I would go in after and add specific highlights to show off the actual material. It's a really fun process compared to other types of rendering. :)

I also made the eyes a bit clearer by setting them against a lighter background. Everywhere I wanted to accentuate the form or the depth of something I made sure I had either a dark against light, or a light against dark. Oh I also made the bottom of the creature lighter, as most animals are lighter at the bottom and darker above. Thas' about it. Hope it helps.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
Creature Help - by AlmightyDtron - 04-21-2013, 10:54 AM
RE: Creature Help - by AlmightyDtron - 04-23-2013, 07:36 AM
RE: Creature Help - by Amit Dutta - 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM
RE: Creature Help - by AlmightyDtron - 04-23-2013, 02:06 PM
RE: Creature Help - by Amit Dutta - 04-23-2013, 02:09 PM
RE: Creature Help - by AlmightyDtron - 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM
RE: Creature Help - by Amit Dutta - 04-23-2013, 03:52 PM
RE: Creature Help - by AlmightyDtron - 04-24-2013, 09:50 AM
RE: Creature Help - by Amit Dutta - 04-24-2013, 07:57 PM
RE: Creature Help - by AlmightyDtron - 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM