Environment WIP
Wow your work is beautiful. Are those real watercolours or digital? For 18 you are killing it already. I don't really see what you think is "childlike" in this image; I do think that sense of childlike adventure, narrative and excitement is a really good thing in your work. Your composition is generally very good, though think about where your main focal points are within the piece and develop your values to help those. A couple of places, mostly on the houses aren't adjusted to the perspective so you should probably plot them out on a grid and make sure they are all consistent as you go on with this. They are a bit off in places, not immediately noticeable, but probably needing fixing.

I did a paintover mostly to adjust values and make it clearer where the light source was and to help drive the composition a bit more. I did end up making it a bit muddy by losing a bit of the saturation but I hope you can get the idea for what I was going for. Also after I did the paintover I actually think your secondary focal point should be the vertical cliff houses in the right of the image rather than the village down at the bottom to get a better flow to the comp.

I added a bit of separation between the foreground and the midground and darkened the values a bit on the foreground to make it pop a bit more. I also think the proportions of her legs and the perspective of them are a tad off and her silhouette could be shown off a bit more. I thought that your lighting was a little inconsistent in the foreground so I changed it to match the light source. I also added a bit more saturation in the foreground and focal points.
I reduced contrast in the back and midground in places because I felt you were losing a bit of that depth separation...especially with the high value waterfall misting and the birds for example.

That's about it. Hope it helps a bit. Mostly tweaks...the image is beautiful so keep going and keen to see it finished!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
Environment WIP - by erysium - 05-29-2013, 05:29 PM
RE: Environment WIP - by Amit Dutta - 06-01-2013, 06:42 AM
RE: Environment WIP - by erysium - 06-01-2013, 04:07 PM
RE: Environment WIP - by Amit Dutta - 06-02-2013, 10:59 PM
RE: Environment WIP - by erysium - 06-03-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: Environment WIP - by erysium - 06-07-2013, 04:26 AM
RE: Environment WIP - by Amit Dutta - 06-07-2013, 10:47 AM
RE: Environment WIP - by Tygerson - 06-13-2013, 09:53 AM
RE: Environment WIP - by Damien Levs - 06-14-2013, 06:54 AM
RE: Environment WIP - by erysium - 06-14-2013, 05:33 PM