Soooo, crit please?
Great! Thanks a bunch dude! I only recently started focusing on this illustration painterly way of drawing (been only interested in comics so far) and I'm mostly trying to figure out how notions like atmosphere and lighting are supposed to work.

Yes, the thin spear thing is supposed to be the focal point and take the viewer close to that ghost shape right of the spear. Wanted the spirit to come as a bonus for anyone looking at the thing for more than 3 seconds. I mean you've obviously looked at the picture for more than 3 seconds for spotting everything you mentioned, so did you notice the shape (the round glowy eyed upper body silhouette) ? Cause if you didn't I'll definitely need to to punch in the shape a bit more. I want it subtle , nut not invisible. Punch it a lot more in the context of scaling the image down.

The story behind the image is having a Magic the Gathering enchantment card. Something along the lines of "tooth for tooth". The hatred of dying elves fueling the shrine of whatever. (The old magic finds nourishment in new blood or smth).
Provides vengeance beyond the grave to dead scout creatures cards by having huge spikes grow next to the burial ground. So whenever a scout card enters the graveyard it can deal damage equal to its power to enemy player/creature by having its spirit throw that spike/spear in one last act of defiance.
So the importance of the elements would be prioritized, spear, moon shrine thing, ghost. Everything else is these so I can practice lightening atmosphere and distance.

Mightily grateful for taking the time for the crit. Having an outside interpretation of the elements you mentioned, focal point, tangents (maybe placing some fog or unsaturated low contrast light in the lower side of the spear so as not to lead the viewer out the frame with its black contrast?), applied on an image I've worked on gives me a lot of context for understanding working with these notions.

Again, thanks a bunch!
Keep rocking!

Messages In This Thread
Soooo, crit please? - by lake7less - 07-06-2013, 04:18 PM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by JavierP - 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by lake7less - 07-10-2013, 12:44 AM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by Amit Dutta - 07-10-2013, 08:38 PM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by lake7less - 07-10-2013, 09:44 PM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by Amit Dutta - 07-10-2013, 09:58 PM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by lake7less - 07-11-2013, 12:56 AM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by Amit Dutta - 07-11-2013, 05:47 AM
RE: Soooo, crit please? - by lake7less - 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM