How to best make use of this forum/community?
To add to what eduardo has said, also don't be afraid of asking specific people for help or for tips. Not everyone feels the "entitlement" to walk into someone else's thread, skecthbook or otherwise, and help someone out even if it's explicitly asking for it, which is totally understandable. In my experience people are 100x more likely to help you out if you approach them and ask directly. Never have had a bad experience doing so, just be respectful of their time and you'll get answers!

When it comes to studying, focus on what you have an interest in. For example, I'm mostly interested in illustration at the moment, so in the beginning i spent a lot of time studying the important things for that, like anatomy, composition, colour theory etc, quite in depth. If you were more interested in concept art, you would focus much more on perspective, design, speed and so on. All art fields have the same fundamentals to draw from, however they tend to have bigger emhpasis on a select few. Illustration is generally about pretty pictures and engaging the viewer, concept art about selling an idea/design very quickly, so the aspects you focus on must compensate for that.

To get better at something the easiest way is to do some in depth studies, then do it from memory shortly afterwards to see if you're learning. Or if you're working on a finished picture, do studies of the things that will be in it. You don't necessarily need a schedule, only use it if you feel you actually need it. It might be helpful if you need order in your studies, however I personally never liked having one. Try both ways, and find a good balance for yourself.

That's really what most of my advice boils down, try everything for a little while, then double down on the thing(s) that work for you. Take a peak through the art discussion and resource forums, theres a lot of good information in there about a bunch of different topics and places to start working from.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to best make use of this forum/community? - by Patrick Gaumond - 03-20-2015, 07:21 AM