the struggle to get into art school/university
guys... I need your advice.

I just recently got my rejection letters from the universities where I applied for communication/ graphic design for the second time. Well, to be honest the first time I applied my portfolio was reaaaally bad, but I actually had some hopes this time (especially because I got some really good advice from Myriam, thanks again for that ;-) ).

Sooo
I'm about to try to apply one last time next year.
Do you know what the professors want to see? what should be included and what is a no-go?
Is Graphic/Communication Design even the right thing to do, or should I search for other study paths? Any recommendations (I`m from germany)?
What did you do?
How hard should I try to improve? I mean, look at my Sketchbook. Even though the Universitys say that the level of skill is not as hard judged as the level of creativity I find it somehow hard to believe. But then, it seems I'm not creative enough anyways.
I mean, what do those guys think is creative and inspiring art? I simply can't see why I should do a Illustration of a proverb (I mean, it is not really something groundbreakingly new, but when I went to a portfolio consulting, another girl had pieces like that, and the professor seemed to love it.... it showed a finger pressing on a clock = time pressure. awesome, right? also, she had some scribbles on lasagna plates. What the hell?)

Now I know that most Illustrations that would help you get a job later are not wanted in university (digital art? eeew... Fantasy.. hell no, what where you thinking??!) and you should try to express something with your art, that there should be a meaning behind it. Also professors seem to love seeing nudes. And it is good if some of your pieces in your portfolio should share a special motive.
Well, those are the guidelines I designed my last portfolio after. It seems it wasn't enough.
(I would like to show you some parts of what I drew, but my portfolios are still in the universities, waiting to be picked up.)

Guys, I'm desperate now. I have no idea what I should else be studying, if art doesn't work out. I don't want that the whole art/illustration life to be just a great dream of mine.

Give me your thoughts, I love you all :)

Messages In This Thread
the struggle to get into art school/university - by Saraiza - 07-01-2012, 09:32 PM
RE: the struggle to get into art school/university - by Kolbenito - 09-09-2012, 04:22 AM
RE: the struggle to get into art school/university - by StolenSky - 09-13-2012, 03:11 AM
RE: the struggle to get into art school/university - by johnelijah - 09-15-2012, 01:08 AM