Starting having work- Please help
No need for gratitude. I am genuinely glad if whatever I said will help you along the way.

If you're strapped for money to register for a booth, you could share a table with an artist friend or two. That would help unload some financial burden. It's a common practice here. Booths don't come cheap.

As to getting your name out there: Visit the people whom you think your work is relevant to. Bring your portfolio. Make yourself business cards, or post cards with your best illustration on it, always put your name and contact information and don't scrimp on the quality of the printing. I remember I went through almost every publishing house I can get to at a convention and did a little song and dance like every good salesman would.

This is the most dumbest idea, but it worked, kinda.

So my folks went to Hong Kong just last year and I was fortunate enough to tag along. Long story short, instead of joining them for vacation, I visited almost every gaming company I could. There were a lot of places I couldn't get to, for security reasons that they wouldn't just let anyone in. But to the ones that were more accommodating, they could not have been nicer. Probably my biggest fault during that time was, I forgot to bring my portfolio. Something they could hold and flip through. I handed them post cards and business cards, but that doesn't feel like it's a good enough of a presentation. But, end of the day, there was one company where we exchanged contact information, with an opportunity to work if work would be available. There were at least 10 companies I mapped out through google, but out of the 10, I only got one good prospect. Not a done deal, but prospect, which to me, an idiot with no formal art background, is good enough. There's something about face to face interactions, like the personal immediacy of it, that beats an email.

I have to admit, the hustle is hard. For a socially awkward introvert, I had to grow a thick skin, do the tap dance and force myself to love it.

*Edit:
Totally Game Dev Map (That's where I found the game companies). And every single thing Amit pointed out.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-20-2016, 01:28 AM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-20-2016, 06:14 AM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by devinn - 04-20-2016, 07:53 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-20-2016, 09:34 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-21-2016, 06:39 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-26-2016, 07:07 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-27-2016, 07:59 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 05-05-2016, 03:15 AM