Paintover? pointers maybe?
(11-11-2012, 12:09 PM)monkeybread Wrote: You wouldn't happen to have submitted this to ConceptWorld by any chance?
Like the others said I think your values need to be controlled with more purpose to really accentuate the feeling of depth and while you've picked a focal point you haven't necessarily implemented it especially well.
You have generally used very dark and very light values all over the image fairly eq(should be less saturated and lighter in general)ually instead of thinking about how distance affects value and using this to create focus and depth.
Did you start this image off with thumbnails to test out value schemes, overall composition and shapes first before rendering up? If not I highly recommend doing this for every piece, or you're going to hit the same problems. If you can fix all your issues on small thumbs first you will waste much less time fixing hours of work later...as rendering up is essentially just adding detail. I also suggest squinting at your image, or viewing it at small size all the way through. If it is still readable then you know your image composition is strong. If it becomes unidentifiable mush, then you know something isn't working.
Lastly in terms of narrative I think for something to be "epic" you do kinda need to make it clear what's going on even if there is a lot going on, and I think some of the stuff isn't completely clear when looking at this. Looking at a previous comment, I don't think necessarily that just by adding "more stuff" going on would add drama without fixing the comp and other more fundamental issues. It would actually make the comp. much busier which is not what this needs, I think you need to be clear about what the drama is and then think about how your composition and the main elements help to tell the story, direct focus and create that sense of epic.
I wouldn't put more time into this one if you are just going to "tweak" or add things, but try and focus on some of those fundamental things for your next one instead, or redo it with those things in mind. Hope that helps!

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense, I do begin the image at a small size, but I'm still figuring out value variation and its appropriate use.... Though the current piece I'm working up is an attempt to address that lol.
I've not heard of concept world? Why, is it posted there?

I've not heard of concept world? Why, is it posted there?
[/quote]

just realised what you meant, for a second I thought it was an external site displaying this painting without my knowledge XD, no it was a different group, but they have a slightly random criteria for what counts as good art...donating points seems to help lol. But i can see now where this piece falls down, and realising having started another I'm unlikely to rework this for another few weeks, so sorry for the paintover request, but the critiques have been very valuable.

Messages In This Thread
Paintover? pointers maybe? - by eZTarg8 - 10-29-2012, 04:02 AM
RE: Paintover? pointers maybe? - by EduardoGaray - 10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
RE: Paintover? pointers maybe? - by eZTarg8 - 11-04-2012, 01:32 AM
RE: Paintover? pointers maybe? - by eZTarg8 - 10-30-2012, 11:32 PM
RE: Paintover? pointers maybe? - by EduardoGaray - 11-05-2012, 08:18 PM
RE: Paintover? pointers maybe? - by eZTarg8 - 11-05-2012, 11:36 PM
RE: Paintover? pointers maybe? - by DarioJ. - 11-08-2012, 07:07 AM
RE: Paintover? pointers maybe? - by eZTarg8 - 11-08-2012, 08:25 AM
RE: Paintover? pointers maybe? - by Amit Dutta - 11-11-2012, 12:09 PM
RE: Paintover? pointers maybe? - by eZTarg8 - 11-11-2012, 01:08 PM
RE: Paintover? pointers maybe? - by Amit Dutta - 11-11-2012, 05:13 PM