How to add more impact?
Hey guys, I'll post up a few images here, one in progress and two that are finished. I've noticed that the guys that are really good can utilize the light and the focal point to make a very dramatic scene and I have yet to figure that out so most of my paintings are somewhat bland.

If someone feels very outgoing a paintover would be awesome but I know that's asking a lot so if anything, just some feedback would be great.

Image 1
Here is that I'm currently working on. In the end I want it to have dramatic lighting and in her hands there will be blue or green flames that I want to softly light the edges of her body. The cloth will probably become more ragged and torn.

What I'm looking for. How can I make this more visual and interesting. I know the pose is pretty static but I'm looking more for lighting on this one. Second, I can never seem to get textures to work well. The seem very stiff when I add in folds and tears.

[Image: strange-ambigiuous-thing-7.jpg]

Image 2
This one is one of the favorites I've done so far because it actually has some textures, and multiple light sources but it lacks the epic punch of a tree gollum raising out of the swamp to claim another victim. I feel most of what it lacks is in the lighting.

[Image: tree-of-death.jpg]

Image 3
This one was supposed to be a bit scary and stomach turning as the monster is ripping open his chest to expose the insides lined with teeth. Again, there just isn't much intensity in the image and it's much more bland than I would like.

[Image: mouthface.jpg]

I'm at that stage where I feel like I should be much better than I am with the time I've put into my art but since I can only attent my school online I lack a lot of the artist interaction which I think is hurting me a lot. All the drawing groups I attend around here are older people who draw landscapes and flowers and their feedback is the generic "Just keep drawing and you'll get better." It's like, I already know that. I'm looking at speeding up my progress to get me out of this dead end job where I change passwords all day for people who forgot theirs.

Anyway, any feedback at all would be great! Thanks guys!

www.AdamMiconi.com
blog.adammiconi.com
Facebook.com/AdamMiconi
Twitter.com/AdamMiconi

Messages In This Thread
How to add more impact? - by AdamMiconi - 11-06-2012, 02:05 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by zeiram3f - 11-06-2012, 03:51 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by AdamMiconi - 11-06-2012, 04:43 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by zeiram3f - 11-06-2012, 07:01 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by AdamMiconi - 11-06-2012, 07:29 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by Markdotea - 11-06-2012, 04:03 AM
RE: How to add more impact? - by zeiram3f - 11-06-2012, 08:46 AM