Art Schools
As for local schools you should definitely investigate them each before you go to one. Talk to other people who went there, investigate the curriculum, find out who your teacher would be and whether he knows what he is talking about or not. Unfortunately, it's pretty common for a "local" art school to be sort of a scam. Often the teachers will be people who don't know what they are talking about and won't draw examples to the students because they themselves can't. They are teaching because they aren't good enough to make it in freelance or land a studio position themselves. The general experience from people I've known and talked to about smaller "local" schools is they wasted their time and they learned very little if nothing. So again, check into the school as much as you can before you go to one.

I don't know much about the scholarships for those few schools which are amazing (such as FZD) but I know how expensive they are and how it can not be a option for some. Just keep in mind that being self-taught is a option. So long as you stay determined and don't get lazy you can do it. Most of the industries leading artists didn't go to a school OR will say that they went to one but learned nothing there and self-taught afterward. This doesn't always go over well with parents though and you may need to get a part-time job to work out a understanding with them. There are so many tools and resources online now that the people we look up to now didn't have that there isn't really any excuse for not being able to figure things out given time. Whether you go to a school or not you're going to have to learn to teach yourself if you want to keep improving and moving forward as an artist.

I hope this was helpful to you and you figure out just which route to take soon. <3

Messages In This Thread
Art Schools - by Zachary McLean - 04-10-2013, 02:59 PM
RE: Art Schools - by JonHop - 04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
RE: Art Schools - by atrenr - 04-11-2013, 06:22 AM
RE: Art Schools - by Zachary McLean - 04-13-2013, 10:17 AM
RE: Art Schools - by Kitsune - 04-13-2013, 04:40 PM
RE: Art Schools - by Zachary McLean - 04-14-2013, 02:52 AM