Needing Help Identifying Common Problems
Hey Mike,

Thanks so much for the over all critique. Hit home on a bunch. Wish I could have been there to provide context for much of the art... but eh, such is life. :) You nailed it on Hellboy. I was using turning one of Mike's pieces digital. Also did the same for Liz Sherman (the girl with the flame) which accounted for some of the issues with it... but your critique helped me see how I could have translated his line work better. The first four pieces were intentionally monochromatic as they were studies but I appreciate the time you went into them because they helped me with my approach to digital painting. Although I love Dave Rapoza's (and many others') approach, I more readily grasp getting the line work/greyscale down before the color, so thanks for detailing that direction. I've been doing that to some degree but without a real understanding of it. Also, something I wish I had included was that the images linked were in chronological order, so I would have preferred more time spent on the later pieces as I feel I have jumped pretty far in that short time. Would you be willing to go more in depth on my color problems (I assume they are color problems) on my last 6 or so images in your next stream?

Either way, a BIG thanks to your time. It's been a boost to my esteem when I needed it and has inspired me to pay back when I become a better artist... hmm. Perhaps that's a wrong way of thinking as I know I have much I could offer artists less experienced than I. I digress. Thanks so much, again. And you were very close on the name. It's j e shields. :)

Messages In This Thread
Needing Help Identifying Common Problems - by jeshields - 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM
RE: Needing Help Identifying Common Problems - by jeshields - 04-17-2013, 06:01 PM