Composition/focal points/contrast
On utilizing the rule of thirds or other compositional techniques, it would require repositioning the image as a whole.

I didn't want to change the image that much for the paint over (making a entirely new painting form the ground up.

I did do another paintover where I explain the golden spiral in composition, look at my video archive and find the one Titled: Markus, Tyler, Pargin paintover_critiques

Also I did a paintover and reworking of my own work where I break down thumbnail options: Check out this video and the one titled, Astral Worm Re-design

I think in terms of the girl drawing attention because she is essentially black and white, that is a good thing considering the book is about this new "feature" to the "rpg gameplay" involving time travel. So the girl drawing attention works, because she is supposed to stand out .

Right now, the way the boy is hanging from the girl (unless you meant to have a more forced perspective) he is at the same level at the girl in z-space. Because she is holding him they are locked in the same z-space. If she was supposed to be swinging him forward, then there are somethings you can do to show that off.

Check out those videos, they might have some more about other compositional techniques that may help, keep in mind they are older too though, I'll end up doing a Livestream talk about composition.

Livestream Crits/Paintovers: www.twitch.tv/mike086
Loomis Study videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mike086

My Facebook page: MCIII

Messages In This Thread
Composition/focal points/contrast - by Johanaan - 04-19-2013, 07:45 PM
RE: Composition/focal points/contrast - by Mike086 - 04-30-2013, 09:54 PM