Sketchbook of Studies,Sketches and Ideas!
Hello, Everyone! I'm going to start posting some stuff on here from now on! I feel like I've been living alone with my studies and all that for too long now, and I'm starting to think I need practice when it comes to actually showing my stuff off..
I keep telling myself how I'm going to post " that next better picture " but it never actually happens, and I keep asking myself why I haven't become a part of this great community yet. So here I go, from now on I'll start posting!

I greatly appreciate any crits and/or tips! Please leave a comment! :)

Stupid

I'm just now learning how to post here! So please tell me if I'm doing something wrong!

Here is a study I did two days ago! I recently started practicing drawing faces, I did lots of pencil sketches and I then decided to try and actually render a face to completion. I didn't reference any specific face for this, but I did look at lots of different images, both from different artists to see how they did it and my own face to see how the light might fall.

I wasnt primarily focused on the anatomy of the face for this painting, its just a simple straight forward view with lighting from the side. I think i'll paint future face-studies on a darker background. Mouth especially gave me trouble on this..

Crits are very welcome! On the lighting/rendering and also on the overall anatomy! I'd like to give the skin some more texture in the future!

Here are two self-portraits I did from my webcam after the study I just posted, the first one is a very quick one doing a silly face in a 3/4 view. studying how the face/lips/eyes move and how the light might fall on it.

The second picture is a longer study of my own face tilting my face up slightly... Its a hard angle for me getting the jaw like that, and the eyes were really hard too ( i had a hard time not making my eyes look asian )

Both pictures started with me looking at myself through the webcam window, although i finished the second one with a screenshot because i didnt feel like holding the pose anymore. I think I'll get myself a mirror to do these studies in the future, because the webcam kinda simplifies the values.

I had a really hard time doing the eyes on the second one, tilting my head up slightly and looking down made my eyes squint, and I dont know if i've ever drawn a squint from a below-angle before.

Once again I'd love tips on how to give the skin some more texture, I feel like i have to strike a balance in making the skin look too texture-ish and monster-like and too smooth. i'd like to be able to draw somewhat smooth human skin with some texture, now i'm definately painting it too smooth.

Crits are very appreciated!

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Sketchbook of Studies,Sketches and Ideas! - by CarlJonssonArt - 08-07-2013, 07:00 AM