Completely stuck with this one... need help...
(08-16-2013, 06:01 AM)kerm Wrote: Here they are (attached).

BTW: Just done new gesture from scratch... any better? Thx for the "leg length" input... helped... I think I "twist" her head a bit so she won't have this strange, direct "stare-at-you" look.

Good to see that I've misjudged you. Thank you, now I can get started.

Your new gesture on top appears to be floating over the chair as opposed to sitting in it. As you imagine the shapes, you need to imagine both the chair and the person sitting on it as a single unit. I honestly think it's not necessary to redraw the character all over again. Just fix the particular issues. There really aren't many.

Once you have a believable sense of weight on the chair, everything else can fall into place alot better. Your original version appears to have that down just fine, though.

Your references tell me why the legs are giving you trouble. Most of it isn't appropriate. Only two of those photos serve as good reference as to how a person would sit on a couch. Everyone else is on a normal chair or armchair, so their legs can fit into different positions that are impossible or unusual to do the same with the couch in your painting. Each type of chair leads to different types of leg positions, because there's space you can fit over and there's space you cannot, depending on the chair.

That 3D model will also hurt you as a reference unless you compensate for the couch she's supposed to be sitting on. A model floating in the air is not helpful when visualizing a person sitting in a particular way on a solid object that limits the area one can place their feet.

You've got to make sure you visualize the way she would sit on that couch. People on chairs and mid-air doesn't help.

The neck and face are easy to answer. The former is just a little thick (compare to your reference and it's done) and you just need more practice with faces so as not to get the slightly eerie look. It's all about getting symbols out of your head and drawing what's actually there.

I have that problem myself whenever I try to do realistic faces, ESPECIALLY straight on. In my opinion, straight on faces are the hardest to do, as opposed to a 3/4 or profile. Unlike a straight on, 3/4 and profiles have alot of clear forms you can represent (particularly the nose and brow), while a straight on takes alot of subtlety to get right.

(08-16-2013, 06:24 AM)Madzia Wrote: @Psychotime please never again write on forum if you are frustrated, it really can harm somebody deeply. Criticism works in both ways, you can also learn something giving the critique just change your approach and note that nobody is equal. One artist will learn the fastest closing himself in closet with books other will learn the fastest if somebody explains and shows on examples. Be more polite.

Got it. My intent was never to cause harm. One little line of text just rubbed me the wrong way and it lead me to make an assumption about the OP's character that's been proven completely wrong. And for that, I apologize. I need to spend less time reading Youtube comments.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr

Messages In This Thread
RE: Completely stuck with this one... need help... - by Psychotime - 08-16-2013, 07:17 AM