Seeking critique on portrait
Hey man, nice updates.
I think with the latest, the lighting scheme comes across a little tentative and inconsistent. I noticed this when looking at a thumb of your image more than at full size. The nose shadow suggests some form of side/underlighting but then there is the highlight on his forehead which may be a secondary source, but doesn't seem to effect much else. The dark areas around the eyes and mouth can be mistaken for shadows which again throws up inconsistency.I think maybe choosing one dominant source and one subordinate and applying consistently will help take this further.

The skin isn't quite exhibiting subsurface scattering yet so maybe adjust the midtone to highlight transitions. Saturation across much of the face in your painting stays between 50 to 70 consistently across the board and I think this is a bit much overall. Bring in some variation and use the saturation in the thin areas of the skin where the light bounces into and refracts back out, in the transition between highlight and midtones and where you want focus.

I'm still not convinced by the form of the eyes. You need to indicate the spherical shape of them more and I don't think the whites should be that consistently bright. Same goes for the eyelid shapes..they seem a bit simplistic in an almost cartoony way.

A bit blunt but you are definitely making progress. :)

I did a quick thing, pushing the underllighting aspect. Didn't touch the eyes much.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
Seeking critique on portrait - by Wolkenfels - 11-15-2013, 07:05 AM
RE: Seeking critique on portrait - by Amit Dutta - 11-16-2013, 09:37 PM
RE: Seeking critique on portrait - by Wolkenfels - 11-17-2013, 07:13 AM
RE: Seeking critique on portrait - by Wolkenfels - 11-18-2013, 03:00 AM
RE: Seeking critique on portrait - by Amit Dutta - 11-18-2013, 10:39 AM
RE: Seeking critique on portrait - by Wolkenfels - 11-18-2013, 03:20 PM
RE: Seeking critique on portrait - by Amit Dutta - 11-18-2013, 04:11 PM
RE: Seeking critique on portrait - by Wolkenfels - 11-19-2013, 08:18 AM
RE: Seeking critique on portrait - by Wolkenfels - 11-20-2013, 07:01 AM
RE: Seeking critique on portrait - by Amit Dutta - 11-20-2013, 05:23 PM