Intro and a few questions
Hey all. I was given a Wacom Bamboo last year for Christmas and slowly got the bug, but it was only until a few months ago that I decided I would like to really knuckle down and take things as seriously as I can. I already have a seperate career so this is I guess, a hobby. But I have some goals, mostly realistic portraiture, still life and landscape in digital. A part of me is interested in comic narrative too but I guess I'll cross that bridge later. Now for questions!

How do you guys organise and consolidate the endless heaps of information out there? I've started writing down stuff in a sketchbook every time I come across something new that isn't covered in a book I've read, but I also have a giant spreadsheet full of links to DA tutorials, videos, forum posts; then there's my inspirational images folder, my reference images folder, books, etc, etc. The list goes on, I'd love to hear how other people organise all this stuff

Schedules - I work 9-5 weeks, so I have an hour in the morning and roughly 6 at night, plus weekends so I'm not short on time. But when I sit down, I'm totally at a loss for what I should be doing. I feel like I'm doing the same thing over and over, and missing other important fundamentals. What kind of skills honing work do you guys do when you're not applying it to original painting? So far I'm thinking:

Warm ups (lines, ellipses, curves, etc)
Gesture drawings
Contour drawings
Perspective study
Anatomy study
Still life
Master copy
Work through a book

I'd love to see any links you have to example schedules or course itineraries because I'm just totally overwhelmed at the moment. So in summary, I need a bit of guidance how I can roadmap and organise myself to effectively absorb all this stuff!

Messages In This Thread
Intro and a few questions - by redmoss - 01-07-2014, 05:49 AM
RE: Intro and a few questions - by Swibble - 01-10-2014, 10:56 PM
RE: Intro and a few questions - by darktiste - 01-11-2014, 06:26 AM
RE: Intro and a few questions - by redmoss - 01-14-2014, 07:50 PM