A question about practice-work balance and schedule
The way I see it Doolio, doing cheap freelance is like wasting time on a lame contest that will give your art away for free. You end up with nothing; No money, no recognition, no portfolio.

From my experience, you need little else than a good, solid portfolio to break in. You will need to do networking, but it won't do you any good if you don't have a portfolio to back you up. So yeah, Brad was very hermit-ish, and I suggest you do post your work online and appear in communities oriented challenges. Be in the circles even if you're not working yet.

But focus on practicing and portfolio building for now, in my opinion. This is what I would do in your place. I'd take the best advantage of the situation and start right of the bat with a very strong book.

And then, since you have the time, do a TARGETED portfolio. Different from Brad Rigney, you can research where you want to work, and start building a portfolio for them. Every time you have 10 new pieces, email them. Eventually they will reply :)

Messages In This Thread
RE: A question about practice-work balance and schedule - by Ursula Dorada - 01-13-2014, 05:10 AM