A reaper character concept
Narrative is a deceptively hard one. Or should that be deceptively simple? You can kind of tack on objects and things afterwards, but it probably does pay to at least think about it even from the conceptual phase, as it can dictate design choices and composition etc.

Normally I tell people back to the sketchbook, or at least do some more thumbs before continuing. In your case, I think you might have a base you can just tweak. One thing I sometimes do, is put the entire image at a low opacity and then just sketch over top with line to play with different ideas (like onion sheeting for animation) That way you might stumble on ideas and still be able to keep some guts of the painting, or use them at least. But yeah, going back to drawing board can work too.
Totally post updates. I can't guarantee I will be on them immediately but will check in if I see this thread update.

About the screen, it's not really like music where there are certain environments you can predict people will be listening to it in...so cars...clubs etc. I used to produce for a few years so I totally hear you about balancing out your mix :) The way I handle stuff is basically if I'm satisfied the image looks good on a really well calibrated monitor with correct colour space setup, I can be reasonably certain that things will look as good as they can on whatever screen. There are soo many devices around that it would be impossible to do a general mix-down for the bad ones. Things change if you are targeting specific devices or formats, but for personal stuff I tend to just keep it as high quality and accurate to suit myself.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
A reaper character concept - by Oafnugget - 02-10-2014, 10:29 PM
RE: A reaper character concept - by Amit Dutta - 02-11-2014, 11:10 AM
RE: A reaper character concept - by Oafnugget - 02-11-2014, 08:51 PM
RE: A reaper character concept - by Amit Dutta - 02-12-2014, 04:30 PM