Nick Cato Portfolio
I hear what you are saying. I'm definitely not saying hard work on stuff that isn't as enjoyable should be avoided, or that it won't pay off. It will for sure. What I'm really saying is you should find a way to enjoy doing those studies. I love doing studies to a certain extent, because the stress of creating goes away, and it's just about learning and analysing, and is much easier on the brain. But if you are just grinding on things because you think "this is the way it needs to be done" with no enjoyment value at all, that is when you need to be doing things differently or changing one's perspective.
I don't believe it is a romantic notion to find enjoyment in everything you do. Key word, is find. We often believe that enjoyment is something that is generated internally as a reaction to an external event, because that is more often than not how it happens normally. I'm pretty sure enjoyment is something you can internally generate to an extent by simply shifting your perspective. This is why I don't subscribe to the "grind is necessary" approach anymore. Sure lots of pros did work they didn't want to and countless hours of grind..does that mean I need to do work I don't want to or enjoy, in order to be pro? I don't buy it.

I mean if you could, wouldn't you rather follow a developmemt path you enjoy, than one that involves constant grind for some distant future goal? I believe it is very possible to do the former and still improve, that's all. I also don't view being able to compete with other professionals as a good goal to do art. :) my focus is on my work and what it does for me at the moment I'm doing it. Sure it will be nice when you get to a decent skill level because you know what it took to get there, but that's a byproduct of just living a life and doing the hard yards. Art for me is more a way of life and self expression than a pipeline of grind to be able to get a job and finally be vindicated. Many of these pro artists get their jobs, live "the dream" and then realise that actually what they wanted to be doing really was their own projects, their own vision, and not just facilitate others. That's why so many focus on the personal work after doing the job side for a while. I see that and I think, why not just cut out the middle man, and start doing the stuff that i want now. If that is overly romantic, then so be it. I only recently came to this view, of course others will be completely focused on career and making it and what not, I find all that to be extra guff that serves only to confuse and divert my real motivations.

But yeah, this thread ain't about why and how we do art at all lol. I think we are both pushing the same message at ghost. ^^

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
Nick Cato Portfolio - by futurespaceghost - 02-21-2014, 04:37 AM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Jonas Jerde - 02-21-2014, 05:30 AM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Amit Dutta - 02-21-2014, 10:40 AM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by futurespaceghost - 02-21-2014, 02:17 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Amit Dutta - 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Jonas Jerde - 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Amit Dutta - 02-21-2014, 06:09 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Jonas Jerde - 02-21-2014, 06:48 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Amit Dutta - 02-21-2014, 08:55 PM
RE: Nick Cato Portfolio - by Jonas Jerde - 02-22-2014, 07:02 AM