How to Draw (Robertson's book) study thread
(03-12-2015, 09:22 AM)Jorch Wrote:
(03-12-2015, 01:58 AM)Adam Lina Wrote: Oh wow man, that makes so much sense now. I wish he had explained it that way in the book or videos. Thanks a lot for the tut. Im sure this will help a lot of people including me.

Sure man, glad it helps! Actually the images may make it seem simple but in fact I had to do some ellipses a few times before they met the conditions correctly. This is normal I guess until more practice gets done.

I'm new to this forum, will be posting more as I go.

-Sorry for any mistakes English is not my native language :")

Awesome work! I actually just made a new account myself... could anybody maybe help me with a question?

I recently picked this up (deciding to go with a more traditional drawing learning path before diving into modeling), and so far, I absolutely love the book.

However, he mentions something that puzzles me. When drawing an orthographic side view of, lets say just a basic curve, he places a bounding box with equal sized squares into it.

Then, in order to get that into perspective, he uses an ellipse guide to draw the square into perspective, and then uses a rectangle multiplication technique to multiply the same distance as the ortho view.

As someone who has recently just blown >$200 on supplies for drawing (parallel glider, copic markers, pens, books, etc), I'm a bit tapped out, and would rather not buy $150 ellipse templates (holy crap, why are they so expensive!?).

But more than that, I'm very curious as to why the ellipse would be needed at all. I realize that a circle in an orthographic view is bounded by a perfect square, so doing an ellipse (which is a circle, in perspective) makes a perfect square, again in perspective, but I don't see why you couldn't just make two horizontal lines running to one of your VPs, and then just make your first box with any verticals, and just multiply.

Sorry if this is sort of rambling on, it just had me really curious, and it was the first part of the book that didn't directly have an explanation.

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to Draw (Robertson's book) study thread - by iReddog - 04-19-2015, 09:40 AM
RE: How to Draw (Robertson's book) study thread - by iReddog - 04-22-2015, 03:59 AM